Senior API Developer
||£40000 - £48000
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.We are proud to deliver award-winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference.
As we continue to grow our Team we now have office locations in Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re now looking for a Senior API Developer to join our Team in Coventry to help us continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
This is a key role within the Digital Platform API Engineering team, building advanced software solutions for our online business and digital products. The Digital API team are responsible for building a wide range of SOA services that support the development of web and mobile applications.We take an API First approach to our service development and are looking for people experienced in delivering a wide range of services and capabilities that cut across our entire company business.Typical projects our services developers have been/will be involved with include :> Developing services which support both web and mobile clients, supporting iOS and Android> Integration with Big Data cluster to provide deep analytics of customer activity> Helping build a truly personalised experience for each customer through the delivery of high performance commerce capabilities including prediction, segmentation and personalisation
The role day to day
- Take a leading role in the development of our API First strategy, helping to deliver a range of services that are used both by internal development teams, external third parties and customers
- Take a very involved role in the various agile activities, including leading project work and reporting progress to their assigned project lead
- Lead design and code reviews and be accountable for the actions taken from these sessions, seeing them through to implementation as agreed
What you'll need to help you make the best of the role
You will be passionate about all things JVM and have a thorough knowledge of JVM development including Java EE development environments and possible experience of work with Big Data platforms including Hadoop and Cassandra
You will ideally be a graduate with a strong degree in a relevant technical discipline (probably Software Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics etc.) with commercial experience of developing software solutions as a Java Developer
We are passionate about software delivery within an agile environment, so we are looking for candidates who are experienced using Agile Methodology to work in a collaborative way with key business stakeholders to deliver great software.
We currently use Lean but this should not limit candidates who have experience of Scrum, XP, DSDM or other recognised agile frameworks.
- Expert experience of developing within Java EE environments and a good knowledge of application servers and docker containers
- Expert in the development of a layered SOA architecture and implementation and testing of RESTful services
- Ability to analyse, optimise and tune services individually and as a discrete suite
-Experienced working within an Agile Framework - ideally SCRUM or Kanban
-Specific experience of Test-Driven Development, Unit Testing, Continuous Integration and Delivery
- You love working in a team and the buzz that goes along with constant communication, but not afraid to go it alone when required
- Good communication skills, with the ability to converse with both technical and business stakeholders
Above all we are an innovative organisation, so we are looking for a passion for technology and a considered approach to software development. You’ll be able to give us examples of how you constantly try to innovate, enhance and improve your working environment - collaborating and sharing your learnings with the wider team
Our current technology stack includes (but not limited to) the following:Java EE (7 and 8)JBoss/Wildfly and DockerRESTEasy/JerseySQL across a range of DB technologies (i.e. Oracle, My SQL, PostgresSQL)NoSQL across MongoDB and CassandraSpring/Dependency InjectionJunit/Mockito/JBehave/Mocking Frameworks for developing unit and functional testsJenkins
The 'nice to have's'
- Experience of working with SQL database servers such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience of working with NoSQL database servers such as Mongo DB and Cassandra
- Experience of working with Java Persistence frameworks such as hibernate
- Experience of Big Data programming models, specifically Spark, Cassandra and the wider Apache Hadoop platform
- Experience of Spring Boot, Docker and WiremockExperience of working in a TDD and BDD environment
- Experience of working with OAuth 2.0
What you'll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too! As part of the CSP department you will also be encouraged to take 12 research days each year (1 per month) to spend looking into something that is not related to your normal day to day project actives. The key here is to innovate! Try something new, explore that wacky idea you've always had, or play with some new hardware or device that has just hit the market. First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone. We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday. So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it’s important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.