||Wellcome Sanger Institute
||£40345 - £48818
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary range: £40,345 to £48,818 per annum plus excellent benefits
We are seeking an enthusiastic Software Developer to join our Pathogen Informatics team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
You will be responsible for developing backend software infrastructure that will enable biologists to curate and annotate protozoan parasites and pathogenic fungi genomes. Protozoa are responsible for many of the neglected diseases (Sleeping Sickness, Chagas Disease, Leishmaniasis) that disproportionately affect the developing world. Fungi are responsible for more disease each year than malaria or tuberculosis.
You will work as part of an international collaboration involving software developers from the EuPathDB project at the Universities of Pennsylvania and Georgia, curators from the University of Liverpool, as well as researchers and developers in the Infection Genomics programme at the Sanger Institute.
The team is based on the principles of agile development so that the software can be rapidly prototyped, updated regularly and receive rapid feedback from scientists in the Infection Genomics programme and wider community. The team employ a testdriven development strategy for all software development projects and strongly promote open source development using Github for all software projects.
* You have a degree in a scientific or engineering discipline (or equivalent industrial experience)
* You have significant programming experience in either Perl or Python
* You can evidence of successful delivery in large or complex software projects and acting as a technical lead in both design and development
* You have experience of object oriented development
* You will need knowledge and experience of UNIX/LINUX on an advanced level
* You will need knowledge of relational database systems and manipulation via SQL
* You will have the ability to learn quickly on the job with excellent problem solving and analytical skill
* You will be self-motivated and dedicated with ability to run own workload effectively
* You will have strong social and interpersonal skills
* Practical experience with running software on a compute farm, experience and knowledge of genome annotation and curation, agile software development methods and test driven development would be beneficial but is not essential
lease include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis
Closing date: 1st April 2018