||Welwyn Garden City
About the Tesco Labs Team
Tesco labs is Tesco Technology's research and development team. Based in Welwyn Garden City, the team was conceived to shine light on future opportunities and challenges for Tesco. Labs is a trusted source on emerging technology and is focused on prototyping and testing new ideas in technology areas that could significantly impact customers and the business in the future. More information about the team can be found on our website: www.tescolabs.com.
The Role: Tesco Labs - Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineer
In this role, you will be working for an ambitious AI team within the Tesco Labs, reporting to the Head of AI and Strategy.
You will be responsible for exploring emerging AI technologies and turning knowledge into novel and helpful consumers' services and autonomous systems.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
As a Data Scientist at Tesco Labs, you will:
* Apply and research state of the art statistical modelling, machine learning and data mining techniques to innovate for our customers or automate decision making
* Implement cutting-edge machine learning algorithms
* Research, implement and benchmark the algorithms developed
* Quickly and iteratively prototype and evaluate novel approaches
* Develop and test AI solutions in live trials
* Set up the feedback mechanisms to continue to monitor and improve production machine learning algorithms
We are looking for a smart scientist that can help us in inventing new services and experiences for our customers.
We are looking for someone with a deep understanding of AI, Machine Learning, Data Mining and Statistical Modelling.
Ideally, you are passionate about customers, creative and inquisitive. You are comfortable with ambiguity and different points of view. You are a hands-on self-sufficient scientist who loves data mining and helping customers and is keen in turning knowledge into novel and innovative consumers' services.
Desired Skills & Experience:
* Advanced degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or related field.
* Deep passion and fundamental understanding of design, algorithms, and data structures in modern machine learning and AI
* In-depth expertise in Machine Learning, deep learning, and algorithms (computer vision is a plus).
* Experience in machine learning on large-size data
* Experience working with Hadoop and Spark
* Hands-on industry or academic experience in Machine and Deep Learning, covering subject like regression and classification, outlier and anomaly detection, clustering, and dimensionality reduction, decision trees, SVM, Random Forests and other ensemble methods, Recurrent Neural Networks (specifically Long short-term memory), and Convolutional Neural Networks.
* In depth knowledge of Machine Learning tools in a scripting language - Python, R, or MATLAB or Java or C/C+
* Strong understanding of the fundamentals of neural networks and common general techniques and architectures including: Adam, Dropout, L2 regularisation, Momentum, RMSprop, RNN, CNN, RL
* Knowledge and experience in deep learning packages (Tensorflow, pytorch, Caffe, Theano)
* Ph.D.or Master in Machine Learning, Robotics, Computer Science, Maths, or related areas.
* In-depth knowledge of the ML Python ecosystem - scikit-learn, pandas, tensorflow/theano, keras/lasagne, or similar
* Ability to apply state of the art statistical modelling, machine learning and data mining techniques to invent and propose new approaches and methodologies in the context of retails
* Ability to "debug" machine learning models
* Creativity and interest in solving problems with business impact
* Drive and discipline to get things done
* Good communicator
* Team player
* Autonomous, self-sufficient researcher
* Experience in coding (Java or C++) and software development practices
* Experience in reinforcement learning, time series (RNN) and generative models
* Experience building models for natural language, audio, and other sequence data e.g. RNNs, CNNs, GRUs and LSTMs.
* Experience with temporal and sequential modelling
* Experience with Integer Programming and Optimisation
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.