Design Research Director
At Fjord, the human is always at the center of everything we do. The Design Research practice at Fjord ensures that everything we deliver is grounded in a deep and contextual understanding of what matters to the people we are designing for.
The Design Research Director owns Design Research as a discipline and a practice at the studio level, and is responsible for the Design Research team across all studio accounts. Working across multiple projects, the Design Research Director supports and provides oversight on all aspects of executing and analyzing primary research. The Design Research Director also works closely with the regional practice lead and other Design Directors to grow the practice holistically across Fjord.
This is your opportunity to be part of a team that is creating positive impact for our clients and the world through a powerful empathetic lens of the people we serve.
As a team, we:
- Develop ways to conduct effective primary research.
- Represent Design Research on our teams and in our studios.
- Define the insights and frameworks that keep the human at the center of our design solutions.
As a Design Research Director, you:
- Ensure the work is grounded in a deep and contextual understanding of what matters to the people we are designing for. Perform all work in line with Fjord and Accenture's policies, ethical practice, and locally accepted standards.
- Manage design research relationships with partners and clients. Find opportunities for account growth via design research and work with Go-to-Market Leads on new opportunities.
- Help to evolve and innovate the Design Research practice, pulling in state-of-the-art methods from external and internal expertise.
- Manage the studio's Design Research team across all accounts.
- Oversee design research plans and deliverables on one to two projects concurrently.
- Build the value and impact of Design Research through cultivating key client relationships and selling in design research work.
- Present new thinking and insights at conferences as a Fjord thought leader.
Working together, we will:
- Have specific opportunities to use our craft to make a difference in people’s lives.
- Engage in ongoing activities that enable us to learn, practice, and evolve our discipline.
- Collaborate on products and services that change the way our clients do business.
Set yourself apart:
- Experience conceptualizing and managing design research initiatives from start to finish.
- Proven history of delivering results on time and within budget.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of design research: recruiting processes; scheduling and logistics; protocol development; interviewing and moderating; analysis and framework development; video compilations; research deliverables.
- Ability to learn new software quickly; experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and video editing software.
- Familiarity with online research tools is a plus.
- 12+ years of relevant experience; 6+ years of leadership experience; 6+ years of design research managerial experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Design Research; a master’s degree or PhD is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple cross-discipline teams.
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to thrive, following simple core values that inform everything we do. Be adventurous. Bring a vision. Make an impact. Rely on empathy. Nurture collaboration. Stay transparent. Be bold and generous in all you do.
Thanks to a unique partnership with Accenture, we’re able to do work that changes the world, and we’re always looking for kindred spirits.
We believe design leadership should empower design teams, providing guidance, provoking thought, and removing barriers so that all members can reach their full potential. In doing so, our design leaders inspire teams, clients, and users to push beyond boundaries and achieve our shared goals. If your strengths revolve around bringing out the strengths in others, we encourage you to join our design leadership team.
A flexible approach: We understand that traditional models may not work for everyone, so we offer flexible working arrangements which include tailored options for how you work