Pipeline Support Engineer
Pipeline Support Engineer
We are Double Negative (DNEG), one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai and Montreal.
Founded with a team of just 30 in London in 1998, we now employ over 2,500 people across our global offices. Our creative drive and close collaborative working relationship with filmmakers ensures that the projects that we work on, large and small, all receive the same high standards of creative and technical service.
This has proven to be a winning approach, resulting in three Academy Award wins, for our VFX work on ‘Inception’, ‘Interstellar’ and most recently ‘Ex Machina.’ BAFTA’s for ‘Inception’, ‘Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2’ and ‘Interstellar’ and Visual Effects Society awards for ‘Inception’, ‘Sherlock Holmes’ and ‘Interstellar’.
As a Pipeline Support Engineer you will be responsible for providing technical support and solutions for issues surrounding the framework through which all our data flows. This framework comprises many in-house tools and workflows as well as industry-standard software. It supports the creative process and is highly configurable in order to meet the varying needs of Visual Effects, Feature Animation
and TV production.
Our Pipeline Support Engineers are highly logical and customer-oriented in their approach to solving interesting and complex problems. You will regularly be required to:
• provide front-line technical support to our artists as their use our framework of tools
• set up and configure tools and workflows for production
• validate your work with methodical and rigorous testing
• work closely with our development teams to identify technical solutions and improvements
• write technical documentation and workflow guides for artists and developers to use
We support a large number of tools, software packages and workflows as part of our pipeline and this can lead to a high volume of support requests. Therefore, you will thrive in this role if you are able to work collaboratively and proactively while working to often tight deadlines. You will be part of a close-knit team providing a crucial service to every show we work on and you will be contributing to the technology
behind exceptional VFX and animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to
Your communication and interpersonal skills will set you apart in this role - in many instances you will be the first point of contact for configuration or framework support issues so your ability to build sustainable, positive relationships with artists and Production staff will help you excel in this role. You will also be required to provide accurate, valid and complete information in your solutions to problems, so you will
need to be able to articulate technical information to non-technical people.
This is an excellent entry-level route into the Production Technology department at one of the largest Visual Effects studios in the world - you will be at the heart of some of the most exciting Visual Effects and Animation work in the industry and will be integral in making these shows possible. The Pipeline Support Engineer role can lead to more senior roles within the support team or crossover roles in Software Development, QA, Project Management and other areas of Production Technology.
• Experience operating in a technical environment - either in an educational or professional setting
• Programming experience in Python
• Practical experience of working in a Linux environment
• Excellent technical problem-solving skills
• Excellent aptitude for customer service
Nice to have:
• A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• Experience with source control systems and team development
• Previous work experience in Visual Effects, Games or another related industry
• Familiarity with VFX software packages, such as Houdini, Maya, Clarisse and Nuke
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of
different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.