Cloud Engineer - Data Platform
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
At Sainsbury’s our vision is to be the most trusted retailer, where people love to work and shop. You will have the opportunity to make a difference in the way our customers have the best possible shopping experience. As a Cloud Engineer, you will be part of Digital and Technology, the place where the code makes a direct impact to millions of customers. Right now, we’re making big investments in engineering and tech so we can get the most from our wealth of customer, colleague and big data lakes.
We are looking for a Cloud Engineer, someone passionate about Infrastructure as Code and automation, to use the latest open-source tools and continuously release quality infrastructure code in production, a vital member within the Platform’s Core Engineering team. Our Big Data and Analytics Platform is ingesting, transforming and storing data for a number of data sources, creating business value quicker.
As a Cloud Engineer you will:
• Ensure scalability, reliability, security and efficiency of Sainsbury’s Big Data Platform built on Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and other open source components.
• Build automation using tools like Terraform and Ansible through CI/CD pipelines.
• Operate large scale distributed systems.
• Work with other engineering teams to accelerate software delivery.
• Help shaping our organisation’s culture.
• Help defining processes and standards, following industry best practices.
• Participate in a 24/7 on call rota as required.
As a Cloud Engineer you will be expected to:
• Automate everything.
• Have experience with implementing, deploying, operating a large scale infrastructure in a cloud environment
• Be hands-on, come up with solutions no one else has thought of
• Have in-depth knowledge of:
o GNU/Linux systems;
o delivering Infrastructure, Platform or Software as a Service solutions in a Public Cloud such as AWS, Google, Azure or similar, and using open source tools like Ansible, Chef, Salt, Terraform, Consul, OpenShift, GoCD, Jenkins along with the cloud’s services;
o managing source code and package repositories such as GitHub, Artifactory, Nexus
o experience with databases - MySQL, Oracle, NoSQL Cassandra, Redis;
o virtualisation and automation solutions.
• Have experience in one or more of these programming languages: Ruby, Python, Go or Shell.
• Have a good understanding of network protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP, LDAP, DNS, etc), routing, load balancers, VPN, Firewalls.
• Have experience working with Infrastructure as Code, configuration management systems, CI/CD pipelines
• Have containerisation experience, e.g. Docker, Kubernetes.
• Have experience using large scale metrics, monitoring, logging platforms like ELK, Sensu, DataDog, NewRelic and be able to analyse and debug issues.