Senior Software Developer
||Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
||£37,273 - £45,100
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Salary range £37,273 to £45,100 per annum depending on experience plus benefits
An exciting Software Development opportunity has become available to further develop our scientific software infrastructure to further assist our scientific research teams in their migration toward a more cloud native environment.
The position will be based in the Scientific Computing area of Sanger's core IT team, at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. This group currently provides >20,000 cores of traditional HPC compute and now an additional 6,000 cores dedicated to our internal OpenStack cloud.
Specifically, the role will involve developing our OpenStack based virtualised compute infrastructure, including tools for its management, maintenance and R&D. It will also require working closely with our scientific community to provide coding advice, guidance on the best practice use of cloud compute in an efficient, adaptable and scalable fashion.
This position would suit a Software Developer who enjoys developing software solutions for large scale data analysis, and would like to take on the challenge of an evolving devops environment.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary team environment to help solve complex IT issues with an open mind.
* Significant track record in scripting languages. Python and bash are most valued.
* The ability to effectively explain technical issues to non-technical users.
* Good working knowledge of cloud architecture.
* Good working knowledge of Unix systems administration at scale.
* Experience in large scale (thousands of nodes, multiple petabytes of storage) use of at least three of the following:
1 Parallel filesystems (Lustre, GPFS)
2 Low latency networks (Infiniband)
3 Automated system deployment/configuration management, i.e.: Ansible.
4 Job scheduling systems (LSF, GridEngine, SLURM)
5 Object storage
6 Hashicorp tools
7 OpenStack and public cloud knowledge
8 An understanding of distributed computing and microservices.
9 Data management systems (iRODS)
* Ability to design and implement appropriate HPC server, storage and networking architectures
* Experience in providing a high-quality customer-focused IT consultancy service
* Experience in optimising applications (Python, Java, Bash, Ruby)
* Degree-level understanding of bioinformatics/biology and/or computing
* Demonstrable expertise in building and debugging bioinformatics application code
* Relational database administration experience
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Closing date for applications: 4th February 2018