Software Development Engineer II - Price Services
||Welwyn Garden City
About The Tesco Technology Price Services Team
Price Service is a new HTTP API handling pricing and promotions across all of Tesco's channels. It is of central importance to Tesco's strategic plans to better serve 28 million shoppers each week in the UK, and more around the globe. To do so the engineering team has to tackle hard distributed systems problems at scale, to ensure high availability and performance. CAP theorem is a regular and very practical topic of conversation within the team!
The impact of the team's work on Price Service will be visible through Tesco's tills, websites and mobile apps - it is rare to find a job with this level of challenge and impact. The HTTP API is being built for consumption on the open internet, to enable future innovation in the wider world.
The service is built with Java, Vert.x, RxJava, Groovy, Couchbase and Kafka, among other technologies. It runs on AWS with fully automated testing in a continuous deployment pipeline.
The team works according to Agile principles, adapting Kanban and other techniques as appropriate to succeed. Pairing is very common and all code is reviewed via Github.
The team is humble and supportive of each other and highly collaborative both internally and with other teams. Egos should stay at home.
Reports into: Software Development Manager or Head of Software Development.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
Typically the role involves the following activities:
* Pairing with other engineers to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with
* Writing tests - very often before the associated code - at unit level with Groovy/Spock and in BDD style with Groovy/Cucumber
* Reviewing pull requests and giving good feedback
* Attending backlog planning sessions to discuss and estimate (small, medium, large) upcoming stories
* Taking part in understanding requirements and designing API endpoints and their implementations
* Supporting the service, both during office hours and out of hours via paid support rota
* Automating the build, provisioning and deployment in the cloud
* Implementing monitoring and alerting mechanisms via Splunk, Runscope and other tools
* Building for security and user data privacy
* Being involved with attracting and interviewing further excellent engineers for Tesco.
Experience relevant for this job:
* Java and ideally other JVM languages such as Groovy.
* Designing and building distributed systems, for scalability, availability and performance.
* Testing everything, automating everything.
Skills relevant for the job:
* Written and verbal communication skills.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
* Customer focus.
* Innovative approach to problem solving.
To find out more information and to apply, please click the APPLY button.