Principal Software Developer - Pathogen Informatics
||Wellcome Sanger Institute
||£47222 - £57138
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary in the region of £47,222 to £57,138 per annum plus benefits
We are seeking to recruit an experienced Principal Software Developer to work within the Pathogen Informatics team at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
The Pathogen Informatics team develop and maintain software applications and systems to support the research activities of the Infection Genomics programme. The Infection Genomics programme conducts large-scale experiments to investigate the underpinning mechanisms of evolution, infection and resistance to therapy in viruses, bacteria and parasites. The programme also focuses on the genetics of host response to infection and the role of the microbiota in health and disease.
The Pathogen Informatics team play a key role in the the delivery of many of these large-scale pathogen projects. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing software and systems to manage, analyse, query and visualise the vast amounts of data produced by these projects, including next-generation sequence data and annotation and curation data.
The team is based on the principles of agile development so that the software can be rapidly prototyped, updated regularly and receive rapid feedback from scientists in the Infection Genomics program. The team employ a test-driven development strategy for all software development projects and strongly promote open source development using Github for all software projects.
This role would suit somebody with previous experience in the specification, design and delivery process of a software system (preferably in genomics or similar areas). The postholder will be expected to discuss and provide input for strategic decisions of the team, represent the team at internal and external meetings, and provide technical supervision to junior members of the team. Previous experience of next-generation sequencing informatics would be advantageous, although not strictly required.
* A degree in a scientific or engineering discipline (or equivalent industrial experience)
* Significant programming experience in at least two programming languages
* Evidence of successful delivery in large or complex software projects and acting as a technical lead in both design and development
* Experience of object oriented development
* Knowledge and experience of UNIX/LINUX on an advanced level
* Practical experience with running software on a compute farm
* Knowledge of relational database systems and manipulation via SQL
* Experience of managing large volumes of data
* An ability to learn quickly on the job with excellent problem solving and analytical skill
* Must be self-motivated and proactive with ability to manage own workload effectively
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Experience and knowledge of genome annotation and curation
* Previous experience in modern Perl (Moose)
* Previous people management experience
* Experience with new sequencing technology data
* Experience with agile software development methods
* Experience of test driven development
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date: 31st January 2018
To find out more information and to apply, please click the APPLY button.