Graduate UI Developer - NDS
Northgate Public Services
18th December 2015
£20000 - £24000
Northgate Public Services
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Northgate Public Services is one of the fastest growing public service businesses in the UK. It uses strategy, innovation, information and technology to promote high-performing public services, management and governance in the UK.
We work together with our clients in trusted partnerships to deliver better public services that seek to improve the skills and capabilities of employees, fully engage the public and thereby add to public value. It is the depth and breadth of the knowledge and the work of Northgate Public Services employees that places it in a distinct position. Northgate Public Services partners with the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. In the UK we work with 95% of Local Authorities, every police force and a large number of health organisations, housing associations, utilities and transport companies.
Northgate Public Services supports corporate and service transformation through sustainable performance partnerships. Its services embrace local government, environment and planning, energy efficiency, public safety and enforcement, health and social care, housing, financial management and transport.
Internal staff promotion and progression provides opportunities for talented individuals to develop and progress within established teams.
The User Interface Developer is part of a new Northgate Public Services (NPS) digital project team. The team’s remit is to deliver exciting new digital products for citizens, based on NPS’ proven public services knowledge. Working using Agile methods, the team will also investigate and prototype new technologies based on open source components in order to reduce the time to market.
The User Interface Developer will be a core member of the team, working with product owners and the User Experience Designer to translate their domain and user interface knowledge into compelling public facing user interfaces.
The User Experience Developer will be responsible for:
- Converting the prototype into production code using the platform components
- Ensure the user interface works on a wide range of browsers and devices
For the successful candidate, the role offers the opportunity to apply the knowledge gained on their course to real world examples within the important and expanding digital public sector. Working with public sector domain experts and technical specialists, the successful applicant will gain experience in the entire project cycle: from initial identification of requirements, through iterative design, development and user testing, to public release and beyond.
- Developing the user interface for NDS deliverables
- Working jointly with NDS team members such as the Product Owner, the UX Designer and others to create prototypes for NDS deliverables
- Working jointly with the other developers to produce production code based on the prototypes.
- Ensuring the user interface is functional across browsers and devices and with and without java script
- Producing java script to produce a rich user interface
- Working closely with colleagues to share knowledge, information and best practice
Essential technical skills
- Knowledge with experience using modern web technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3 with an understanding and appreciation of W3C standards and specifications, usability, and accessibility.
- Knowledge of concepts such as Responsive Web Design, Progressive Enhancement and Graceful Degradation to support various browser/device/platform capabilities.
- The ability to rapidly produce high fidelity prototypes for testing
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Desirable technical skills
- Java and JSP servlet technology
- Knowledge of an IDE such as Eclipse
- Knowledge of a code versioning system such as GIT
- Knowledge of SASS
- Knowledge or REST, XML and JSON
- Search optimisation
Security Clearance/CRB Clearance
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU. Documentary evidence will be requested at interview.
Candidates may have to go through CRB clearance as part of this role
To apply please click the APPLY button.