We are looking for Software Engineers to come and join our expanding Software Engineering community in our Digital Services and Technology (DST) and Digital Publishing directorates.
We are recruiting several engineers to join our existing agile and digital teams across the business to build and deliver our extensive range of modern digital products using the latest cloud and microservice approaches.
We have a vibrant community of 150 software engineers, so come and work with our highly skilled workforce in an open and collaborative development environment. If your passion for programming is matched by your skill for agile working and your experience in DevSecOps is matched by your love for working collaboratively then we have a role for you.
We are committed to supporting our people's wellbeing by offering flexible ways of working that support a healthy work life balance. We are happy to explore opportunities with you about working flexibly in line with our policies.
You will be responsible for writing clean, secure code following a User Driven Development approach, and working to open-source principles to create code that is easy to re-use. You will be involved in the full software development life cycle, carrying out the design, running, testing and continuous improvement of software to meet user needs.
Working within our diverse software teams, you will work on a range of projects, from providing operational support to critical live systems, improving, and advancing existing products, through to creating new systems and tools that will transform how our organisation works. Primarily these will be on exciting new front facing products. We work across multiple business areas, software tools and systems and using a range of programming languages.
We expect that you will have experience of using some technologies and be keen to learn others. More importantly, your desire to learn and develop in a collaborative software environment will be what we are looking for. As part of a multi-disciplinary agile delivery team, you will enjoy working openly and collaboratively. Alongside other software engineers, user researchers, product managers, architects, and analysts, you will build and support a range of products and platforms.
This role is part of the cross-government Digital, Data & Technology (DDaT) profession framework. As a role within DDaT at the ONS, we also offer benefits such as:
• Protected Learning Time of up to 10% of your weekly hours, to spend on your personal development and side-projects.
• A supportive and active Community of Practice which you will be expected to contribute to, helping ensure you and your colleagues get the training, development and opportunities you need to
progress your careers.
• The opportunity to be part of our annual progression panels, giving yearly promotion opportunities.
As an ONS employee you get:
- Hybrid working in an organisation voted top in the UK for work-life balance
- A market leading pension scheme - our employer contribution rate is around 27%
- A choice of working patterns *for every role* full-time, part-time, job-share.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of 26 weeks full pay (subject to qualifying criteria)
- Employee Assistance Programmes
- Diversity Network Groups
- Mental Health Allies
- Civil Service Sports and Social club
- Generous holiday allowance - 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years service in addition to 9 public holidays
Contact Name: Darren Weeks