The Network SRE team in Bloomberg is responsible for the observability, reliability and performance of the network infrastructure that provides connectivity for internal and external business applications.
We are involved with all aspects of planning, implementation and monitoring of network infrastructure that spans over a hundred Points of Presence (POPs) globally and serve as a point of escalation for Operations. We work closely with other Engineering and SRE teams such as Network Edge, Network Core Architecture, CTO office and product managers across the enterprise. The Network SRE team drives technology forward using Bloomberg's MPLS network, The Internet and the Public Clouds for business and client needs.
What's the role?
Our team uses both Design and DevOps techniques to best ensure the performance and reliability of applications across our network. We focus on growing the transparency of our network and in quantifying key performance metrics.
As a member of the EMEA NSRE team, you will be responsible for the complete life cycle of a project, including research, testing, implementation, automation, documentation, and monitoring. Join us in the Networks SRE team to learn, collaborate and tackle exciting problems!
We'll trust you to:
- Use DevOps principles to script and automate workflows following industry standard methodologies
- Take ownership and work independently on problems and handle critical issues from various business units
- Measure key performance metrics within Bloomberg's network and proactively identify problems
- Plan, design, install and handle the life cycle of MPLS Provider/Edge Routers and Internet Peering -Edge routers, including the recommendation of system software and hardware
- Work with an Agile demeanour, to be data-driven and be ready to adjust the course
You'll need to have:
- DevOps and automation skills - experience in building and managing CI/CD pipelines for provisioning infrastructure
- Experience working with at least one Cloud service provider (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Proficiency in provisioning and building infrastructure as code using tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Salt, etc.
- Proficient experience with Python and/or other scripting languages
- Proficient networking configuration experience with routers, switches and a good understanding of protocols and technologies including BGP, OSPF, PIM, IGMP, MPLS, L3 VPNs/EVPNs, tunnelling protocols
- Experience with network troubleshooting including IP fundamentals, DNS, load balancing
- Experience with version control systems such as Git
- An ability to remain calm under pressure, to multitask, to be customer focused, and to communicate efficiently
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX/Linux tools as well as proxies and firewalls
- Familiarity with Jenkins' automation techniques, visualization tools such as Grafana and other web technologies
- A good understanding of SRE disciplines
- An aptitude for keeping up to date with the newest technologies like Segment Routing, Containers and Kubernetes
- Expertise in analysing and fixing large-scale distributed systems
- Preferred networking vendor experience with Juniper / Cisco and Arista
- Familiarity with analysing packet captures using Wireshark
- Operational experience with tools such as Fmad, Corvil and Riverbed
- Technology experience such as SDN/SD-WAN, CDNs, Internet IXP, Whitebox Solutions
- Familiarity with testing procedures and pipelines using Spirent Test centre/ IXIA for Ethernet/IP/MPLS based RFC Testing
If this sounds like you:
Apply - if we believe you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.