We are searching for a Cloud Migration & Data Engineer for an initial 12 month fixed-term project based in Exeter, Devon.
You will work with our clients existing Data Management team helping to migrate their existing on prem Data Lifecycle Management (DLCM) processes into Azure.
You will be responsible for the following key areas throughout the project;
- Assess existing DLCM processes for cloud migration suitability.
- Create a prioritised list based on suitability and data value.
- Work with the Data Architect to define target architecture for the cloud.
- Create geospatial data structure designs and share with key stakeholders to get alignment.
- Define data consumption paths for new cloud architecture with key stakeholders, ensuring smooth transition from on prem to cloud solution and allowing a wide variety of consumption end points to facilitate downstream use cases.
- Create automated data pipelines.
- Put in place DevOps processes and performance tuning to optimise solution performance.
- Migrate file-based systems to Azure-based storage solutions, including access and security requirements.
- Work with Data Asset program to capture processing and source meta data within the enterprise data catalogue.
- Put in place automated testing to enable ability to evolve data processing overtime without impacting existing processes.
- Document new data pipeline processes including runbooks for pass back into Data Management team ensuring a smooth handover.
- Upskill existing team members by demonstrating defined operational processes and reduce reliance of team members to run processes by automating.
- Help define change management process for managing cloud based DLCM pipeline post migration.
- Build in Azure cost reporting, including the tagging of infrastructure to enable understanding of cost disbursement across business units.
- Design and build of metrics to understand pipeline performance and resource consumption for operation of the migrated Data Lifecycle Management processes for predominantly geospatial data.
Confident, highly numerical and high attention to detail with excellent communication skills. You will also have an inquisitive nature, be innovative with a desire to understand and resolve complex problems.
You will also have:
- Qualification in GIS or Data related discipline or significant equivalent professional experience, would be an advantage.
- Previous experience of ETL migration from on-prem to Microsoft Cloud repositories, and the technology stack involved.
- Previous experience in Spatial Data with Azure Cloud technologies, such as Data Factory, Synapse, Data Bricks and Azure-based DBS.
- Previous experience of FME Desktop/Server, with examples of authoring ETL processes following correct Best Practises, problem-solving, and finding efficiency's in already existing workspaces.
- Be able to effectively communicate new methods and ideas to a well-established high performing team.
- Project team management experience.
- SQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server or SQLite experience is desirable.
- Experience using JIRA reporting for project management is desirable.
The role comes with excellent benefits, including;
- Competitive salary
- 25 days' holiday, with optional 5 days unpaid leave per year
- Free parking
- Annual lifestyle allowance of £300 to put towards an activity of your choice
- Cycle to Work scheme and Gym Flex scheme
- Internal coaching/mentoring system throughout your time here
- Family friendly policies
- Flexible working (minimum 2 days per week in Exeter located office)
Cloud, Azure, Migration, Data, Engineer, Data Lifecycle Management (DLCM), DevOps, Storage, Data Assets, Automated Testing, GIS, ETL, Spatial Data, SQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, SQLite, JIRA
Bowerford Associates Limited is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
Contact Name: Matthew Alford