Role summary/purpose of job
The Network & Security team designs, implements and maintains all aspects of network infrastructure including but not limited to; WANs, LANs, wireless networks, DNS/DHCP Services, Global and Local Load Balancing technology components such as NetScaler and modern SD-WAN/SD-LAN platforms. The Team also works with and manages the relationship with the firm's chosen managed security service (MSS) partner whose responsibilities include delivering a service to protect against advanced threats, and managing elements of the firm's security infrastructure.
Working in a "DevOps like" operating model, the Network Engineer is recognised as the subject matter expert supporting the wider teams across infrastructure and core platforms; ensuring the firm's new and existing network technologies run efficiently and effectively on a day to day basis whilst at the same time evolving the service delivered by the team's function to adapt to an ever changing environment.
Network Engineers are the subject matter experts within their domains, providing expertise in developing new solutions and maintain existing services.
Key responsibilities and deliverables
- Day to day Network service operational support, which includes problem and an incident ticket investigation and resolution.
- Analyse Network service and component availability, reliability, maintainability and serviceability. Ensure that services and components meet and continue to meet all of their agreed performance targets and service levels.
- Implement arrangements for disaster recovery and documents recovery procedures.
- Provide support during Major Incident and Disaster Recovery events.
- Develop implementation plans for dealing with more complex requests for change, evaluate risks to integrity of infrastructure inherent in proposed implementations, seek authority for those activities, review the effectiveness of change implementation, suggest improvement to organisational procedures governing change management.
- Participate to Projects and deliver the service as per design.
- Provide expert opinion and Network support for other IT functions.
- Be recognised subject matter expert in LAN/WAN/WiFi technologies and products.
- Communicate with LAN/WAN/WiFi Vendors, open and follow up with tickets and raised problems
- Provide reports and proposals for improvement
- Receive and handle requests for support following agreed procedures.
- Regularly review an infrastructure to ensure best practices are being followed and where necessary to escalate problems/issues (process or compliance)
- Review system software updates and identifies those that merit action. Tailors system software to maximise hardware functionality. Installs and tests new versions of system software
- Undertake installations and decommission of items of hardware and/or software. Document details of all hardware/software items that have been installed and removed so that configuration management records can be updated
- Expert experience in Network (LAN/WAN/WiFi)
- At least 3 years' experience working as a Network Analyst/engineer in corporate environment.
- Solid working knowledge of - CISCO LAN and WiFi, CISCO DNA, CISCO ISE, MPLS, SD-WAN/SD-LAN, Juniper.
- Expert knowledge of layer 2 and layer 3 network protocols, specifically- BGP, static routing and redistribution
- Solid understanding of Quality of service
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and associated protocols.
- Knowledge of telecommunications systems and protocols including unified communications technologies.
- WireShark experience
- Knowledge/Understanding of SDDC Technologies and Virtualised environments
- Professional Service experience
- Prior, multicultural and/or global organisation experience
- Experience of operating in a DevOps environment
- Public Cloud Infrastructure exposure
Desirable Technical Skills
- Automation/Orchestration or experience using one of the following languages: Python/YAML/JSON
- Knowledge of network load balancers (Netscaler), and WAN optimization (Riverbed)
- Good knowledge around information security best practices
- Firewall management/troubleshooting - Palo Alto/Fortigate
- Experience of administrating WAN Routers & provider peering.
- Knowledge and experience of current Windows server operating environments
- Knowledge of video conference systems and unified communications systems
- Knowledge of software defined networks such as VMware NSX-T, Cisco SD Access, DNAC, Cisco ISE.
- ITIL Service Management Foundation certification (or equivalent)
- CCNA/ CCNP / CCNA Wireless
- Juniper - JNCSP, any JNCP security track certification