Job title: IT Support Engineer
Job purpose: To achieve efficiencies in MapAction's IT systems to support all of its business functions.
Hours: Full time (37.5hrs per week)
Location: From home with some of the time at MapAction's offices in Chinnor, Oxfordshire
Salary: £26,989 - £29,148 - Dependent on experience
Responsible to: Technical Director.
The Technical function provides support to the organisation's internal institutional and operational capability and ensures technical services are available to service users. The function comprises a Technical Director (focusing on the leadership of the function and infrastructure for the charity and operations), Head of Technical Development (focusing on technology development that evolves the service offer), Systems Engineer (focusing on business and operational systems integration) and IT Support Engineer (focusing on IT support tasks). It works closely with technical working groups of volunteer software and IT systems experts.
Technical support is essential to ensure MapAction's internal capability remains ready to deploy 24/7, 365 days a year.
This role provides technical support to MapAction's team by carrying out specific IT administration related tasks. It is responsible for maintaining MapAction's fleet of laptops (hardware and software).
MapAction relies heavily on IT for its work in affected countries and in its UK headquarters. MapAction's IT is managed by the Technical Circle, a group of technically minded staff and volunteers, including the post holder. Operational support is provided by the Technical Director, Systems Engineer and a local IT outsourcing company.
The job holder is not expected to deploy overseas as part of regular MapAction emergency operations.
- Ensure all IT systems are operational at all times. This includes maintaining MapAction's fleet of laptops, communications equipment, and specialist software applications (GIS, Geographic Information Systems).
- Check and rebuild laptops and other equipment after use in emergency deployments and training weekends meeting the deadlines to do this.
- Configure end user IT equipment to the specifics of MapAction's demanding operating environment.
- Manage laptop software upgrades (through deployment system)
- Package new software and maintain existing ones
- Undertake scripting and automation tasks both for system administration purposes and some file management tasks.
- Work with MapAction's IT outsourcing supplier (a local IT company) and the Senior Systems Engineer to develop and improve MapAction's IT infrastructure. This includes system integration, acceptance testing and developing specifications for future work.
- Implement, test and improve MapAction's in-field IT procedures and systems.
- Create written guidance for both technical and end user audiences.
- Work with the volunteer team to integrate their contributions to the tasks above.
- Provide IT support to office staff and members/volunteers as required
- Support MapAction's Technical Infrastructure (servers, network, telephony and cloud-based systems).
Technical support tasks
- Ensure MapAction's IT systems are regularly backed-up in accordance with MapAction's SOPs
- Support the process of disaster recovery as required
- Support colleagues with the management of the contracts with CST, Linode and others
- Others as agreed with Technical Director
As a team member
- Participate in team meetings, deliver updates and assist in developing and implementing projects and initiatives as required to support the achievement of MapAction's targets.
- Act at all times in the best interests of MapAction and help promote its vision and mission.
- Minimum vocational education (HNC or HND) in an IT related subject
- Minimum one year of professional experience in a technical support or system administration role
- Experience of Microsoft Windows 10, Windows Server, MS Office, servicing hardware and software, software deployment and configuration,
- Scripting and automation
- Experience managing cloud-based infrastructure (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud)
- Basic (or above) knowledge of Linux, including setup, configuration and shell scripts
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
- Strong commitment to MapAction's mission and values
- Positive team player and ability to work collaboratively
- ITIL foundation qualification
- A vendor qualification like MCSA, MCITP or MCSE
- Experience writing documentation for both technical and end user audiences
- Must have the right to live and work in the UK (MapAction is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold appropriate permissions)
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours including evening and weekends, attending monthly weekend training events as required. In particular, during MapAction deployments to major emergencies; occasionally attending MapAction's volunteer training and development weekends; and occasional participation in conference calls on evenings and weekends. Reasonable time off in lieu is available by agreement.
- Note: this is an operational role in a small, highly specialised charity and an appreciation of, and affinity with, the humanitarian purpose of the charity is essential.
MapAction (mapaction.org) is a leading humanitarian mapping charity delivering information services and products to help humanitarian responders in disasters and conflicts. This mapped information helps responders understand vulnerabilities and target their response effectively, contributing to saving lives and minimising suffering. The organization works through a team of skilled volunteer professionals and a small paid staff team.
MapAction has built a strong reputation in the humanitarian sector and is a technical partner of the United Nations, Non-Government organisations, regional entities and national authorities. The charity has attracted funding from the UK Government (DFID), USAID's Office for Disaster Assistance, the German Federal Foreign Office, the Government of the Netherlands, EU and other major donors. Over half its budget is covered by restricted funding of this nature.
Contact Name: MapAction
Job ID: 2862313