The Internet you know and love is at risk. A range of political and commercial forces threaten our chances to keep the internet a global public resource, open and accessible to all.
At the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, we're passionate about fueling a movement for a healthy internet! We do this by engaging movement leaders and inspiring thousands around the world to take action alongside us.
We're seeking a senior-level, strategic Data Lead to help us develop and implement strategies and systems for how we utilize data and metrics to evaluate the performance and impact of the Foundation's work. We know that having access to, and analysis of, meaningful data can help us drive greater organizational effectiveness and we need your help to get there.
Reporting to the Director, Organizational Effectiveness, you'll provide strategic thinking and leadership of our data and analytics work, and play a key part in empowering the organization to optimize its commitment to data-driven decision making.
You will help us glean insights about our progress towards our strategic plan and theory of change focused on advancing 'trustworthy AI' globally, link annual organizational and team goals to metrics, and have opinions about what we might ask ourselves to understand the impact and performance of our programs.
- You will design and implement a data strategy for the Foundation:
- Drive and guide teams to identify data insight needs
- Identify and lead implementation of improvements to data quality and insight; diagnose gaps in data and recommend solutions
- Continually assess organizational capabilities across the data lifecycle (e.g. collection, extraction, analysis, communication/reporting and decision-making) and design strategies to improve effectiveness and efficiency
- Define (and subsequently recommend design changes to) the organizational data strategy and associated operating models
- Ensure the strategy and its components adhere to Mozilla's lean data practices
- Ensure the implementation of ethical data practices within the organization
- You will provide ongoing data insight support:
- Supervise the creation of custom tools and dashboards to automate and scale insights for internal partners
- Oversee the production of/produce data insight reports (synthesized from numerous sources, focused on actionable data)
- Provide analysis including comments and recommendations related to reports generated
- Ensure analytics tools are set up to support business measurement and reporting requirements
- Ensure we're optimizing for capturing data about our constituents, to enrich our understanding and engagement with them
- Lead and prioritize the demands of partners to ensure data and metrics needs are being met
- You will oversee data architecture and governance:
- Lead (to be formed) data governance working group within the Foundation
- Develop and maintain organizational data architecture and definition
- Monitor and address data architecture and governance risks and issues
- You will advance efforts related to organizational impact and performance management:
- Support the Foundation's OKR system
- Share guidance to teams and facilitate reflection where needed
- Produce impact and OKR reports
- Develop an impact evaluation approach for the Foundation and oversee evaluation activities whether performed in-house or with external evaluators
- Share lessons learned from the evaluations to help make them actionable
- You will oversee database management:
- Collaborate with and advise individuals and teams responsible for database management (e.g. Salesforce, Google Analytics, finance/HR systems) in line with ongoing audits and subsequent requirement shifts
- Work with the Foundation's technology teams and providers to ensure the adequacy of current systems and services to meet the needs of the organization
- You will drive team data capabilities development by:
- Recommend learning and development initiatives based on existing data capabilities assessment
- Develop and deliver customized data capabilities training programs
- Provide ongoing coaching to teams on data capabilities, insight, and interpretation
- You will also provide ad hoc support on:
- Foundation-wide data insight/reporting
- Specific data analysis based on the understanding of Mozilla Foundation's strategy and current insight
- Development of insightful analyses to facilitate decision-making for leadership
- Advise teams on data privacy and security related to their activities
- 7+ years background in using data science/analytics to drive decision-making and performance
- Non-profit or social impact experience desired
- Experience with impact and performance management and data tracking methodologies
- Experience in data architecture and data analytics across the full data lifecycle gained from data-driven organisations
- Experience in business analysis and facilitating the translation of business requirements into technical requirements
- Experience in CRMs and data visualisation tools
- Solid understanding of fundraising and engagement principles as they relate to data desired
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong presentation/communication skills
- Ability to comfortably synthesize data in a meaningful way to a non-technical person
- Ability to work across various business functions to understand needs and provide appropriate data and insights
- Ability to influence and implement change in an international and complex environment
- Experience managing 2+ direct reports
- Passionate about ethical data practices
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects on fast paced schedules
- Quickly adapt to last-minute asks and changing timelines and priorities with flexibility and good humor
- Experience working in a distributed environment building partnerships across disciplines
- Very solid attention to detail
The Mozilla Foundation can hire in the jurisdictions of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany.
If you are deeply interested in the role, please don't hesitate to apply even if your experience or skills don't perfectly match our ideal credentials. We seek to hire a person who will become an integral member of our team! We all love to expand our skills through our work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.