Principal, Data Innovation
Based Across Our Regional Offices (London
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Principal, Data Innovation
Based across our client's regional offices (London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast)
The Data Innovation Hub ("the Hub") is a new team which works with colleagues across the organisation to improve our client's capability to process, analyse and extract insights from data. For example, they crunch terabytes of data to give them an unparalleled understanding of the coverage and performance of the UK's broadband and mobile networks. And they're exploring how AI and machine learning can help them extract more insights from complex data sets, or help them do things more efficiently.
Purpose of the Role
The analysis and interpretation of data is vital for our client to deliver their regulatory duties. They are looking for someone who can play a crucial role in this process, by leading the process of building, developing and maintaining data management systems, so that data scientists and analysts can get the best from data.
Your work will create and evolve the foundations for making our client's data deliver real benefits for consumers and businesses. You will work with other data specialists, both inside the Hub and elsewhere in the organisation, to understand data management requirements and then lead other data engineers to put in place the necessary automated systems to extract, transform and load data sets for subsequent analysis. By regularly updating your theoretical and practical knowledge, including by making links with key strategic partners, you will ensure that our client's data management capability continues to be best in class.
Requirements of the Role
Working alongside an existing Principal role responsible for data analytics, this role is responsible for data management and involves:
- Working collaboratively and leading discussions with colleagues in the Hub, policy and operations teams, to understand how they obtain, use and share data and how that may change in the future.
- Leading the building, deployment and proactive maintenance of systems to extract, transform and load (ETL) data, directing the work of other data engineers and specialists.
- Leading the preparation of datasets on network coverage and performance to inform a range of policy activities.
- Continuously seeking ways in which to improve data, data systems and pipelines to be in line with industry best practice.
- Leading initiatives to locate, catalogue and, where appropriate, integrate data sets.
- Managing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including building and maintaining strategic relationships with universities and other regulatory or government bodies active in the management and use of data.
- Working with the Director, Data Innovation and other senior members of the Hub to set, realise and review its strategic direction.
- Working with the People and Transformation Team to promote and deliver specialist training to data professionals and, more generally, to improve the capability of all colleagues in the organisation to use data.
- Working with the ICT team to ensure that the Hub's activities are aligned with the ICT Strategy.
- Reviewing and evolving our client's policy for Open Data and working with their Public Policy Team to explore and implement efficient and secure ways to share data with governments and other policy makers.
- Developing a strategy for, and subsequently leading, the efficient, secure and sustainable sharing of data with external organisations through mechanisms such as application programming interfaces (APIs).
Skills, knowledge and experience
Applicants should be able to demonstrate capability in and experience of:
- Using a range of tools and environments for storing, analysing and visualising data, such as SQL and cloud services such as Microsoft Azure, Python, R and Power BI.
- Engineering data processes, which transform raw data into a state fit for subsequent analysis.
- Project and programme management, including the delivery of multiple, concurrent activities.
- Working across organisational boundaries in multi-disciplinary project teams of policy professionals, technologists, data specialists and lawyers to understand requirements, translating these requirements into technical specifications and delivering business outcomes.
- Communicating technical concepts, both written and orally, across organisational and technical boundaries, including to senior colleagues and non-technical audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills and evidence of ability to interact effectively with, and influence, a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Technically qualified in a computer science subject or with equivalent experience
To apply for the role of Principal, Data Innovation, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Data Management Director, Head of Data Management, Director of Data Management, Principal Data Engineer, or Head of Data Innovation.