Assistant Design Engineer (Drainage)
This is an excellent opportunity for an Assistant / Graduate Engineer to develop skills and gain experience in Civil / Structural Engineering. The successful candidate will be working on a range of projects and will fulfill a variety roles within the department. The role will primarily involve the design of drainage and other civil / structural engineering schemes together with site supervision and project management.
- To assist, where necessary, under the direction of the Senior Engineer in the design of drainage and other civil / structural engineering schemes.
- To assist the Senior Engineer in the site supervision of construction projects to ensure works satisfy the requirements of the specification.
- To assist the Senior Engineer in the project management of drainage and other civil or structural engineering schemes.
- To assist the Senior Engineer in carrying out Flood Risk Assessments and land drainage surveys.
- Provide assistance in the design of SUDS/attenuation schemes.
- Produce technical drawings using AutoCAD for planning applications, tender and contract drawings.
- Assist the Senior Engineer in the preparation of tenders and contract documents to NEC conditions of contract. Including the preparation of a bill of quantities in accordance with the manual of contract documents for highway works.
- To liaise and consult with other Council services, statutory bodies, contractors and consultants in order to meet all statutory and legal processes
- Carry out topographical surveys for use in drainage and other civil engineering schemes.
- Provide assistance to the Senior Engineer in carrying out structural inspections on road bridges, footbridges, culverts and retaining walls.
- Assist in the inspection and management of the council's two reservoirs to ensure compliance with the Reservoirs Act 1975.
- Liaise with members of the public and elected members in a professional manner to provide sound and reliable information.
- Provide assistance to monitor and update asset management databases within the department.
- To assist and undertake any other duties as directed by the Engineering and Traffic Manager.
Amount of experience required:
- Essential - Experience of working on civil / structural engineering projects and specifically drainage schemes.
- Desirable - Knowledge of drainage, water and Highway Authority approval processes and Flood Risk Assessment.
Technical skills required:
- Essential - Experience in using AutoCAD to generate technical drawings.
- Essential - Good working knowledge of standard Information Systems and technology (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
- Desirable - Experience in using Micro drainage, TEDDS, GIS mapping, asset management software.
- Essential - HNC / Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering subject
- Desirable - Further training or qualification in a technical relevant subject
Personality and Competencies required:
- Quick and effective thinker with a creative approach to problem solving.
- Flexible and adaptable when faced with a problem.
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team or on own initiative.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to communicate to a high standard both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own allocated workload to deliver to targets and deadlines.
- Open to opportunities for personal development.
- Open minded and flexible in new ways of working
Special requirements (i.e. car driver):
- Essential - Full UK Car driving licence