|Listed on:||5th March|
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you'll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence UK Ltd. (BDUK) is a subsidiary of The Boeing Company and a business unit of Boeing Defense, Space & Security. It currently has employees at 20+ locations in the UK, supporting Ministry of Defence and U.S. military programmes. The Boeing Portal in Fleet, Hampshire houses the Advanced Programmes team whose role is to conduct Strategic Experimentation and Analysis in support of BDUK growth in UK and Europe.
The purpose of the role is deliver effective simulation and synthetic environments across the LVC construct to support the delivery of independent, focussed and defensible analysis on behalf of BDUK and wider Boeing.
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and hardworking individual with a computer science background, to join the BDUK Advanced Programmes team as a Simulation Technician. This is an exciting opportunity for somebody to make a genuine contribution to projects in support of our customers within a global team, whilst being exposed to the some of the most sophisticated techniques and technologies within the field.
Summary of job role/Main purpose:
The Successful Candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Software development activities covering all aspects of the lifecycle, including requirements elicitation, design, development, documentation and testing, on projects ranging from novel development activities to the integration of third party software into a synthetic modelling and simulation environment.
• Development, configuration, and utilisation of state-of-the-art modeling and simulation tools in order to characterise and validate the interrelationships and limitations of input variables and their projected outcomes
• Interfacing with and understanding of a wide ranging set of technologies and concepts relating to data analysis, visualisation, virtual and constructive simulation, information retrieval and storage and modeling of complex systems
• The execution of analysis and experimentation activities, including requirements gathering, systems design and build, set up and configuration, testing, acceptance, training of military customers, and experiment support
• Independently conducting small tasks as part of larger programmes, for example the generation of demonstration material, scenarios, simulation rigs and training materials.
The role of Simulation Technician in BDUK requires the individual to be self-motivated, and able to undertake self-directed learning in new areas (that they can then rapidly apply) to achieve success. Primary expectations are:
• A willingness and natural tendency to be a team player.
• To be "a finisher" and demonstrate tenacity in the desire to see every task to fruition, on time.
• A focus on effective communication of ideas, knowledge and capability, i.e. a tendency to show rather than tell).
• The ability to multi-task and to manage deadlines effectively.
• The ability to progress /develop new capabilities, outside of everyday tasking and deadlines in conjunction with the above point.
Key relationships (as appropriate)
• Reports to Senior Manager ADVANCED PROGRAMMES UK.
• Works closely with other The PORTAL Analysis Team members during analysis tasks.
• Works closely with the MISSION SYSTEMS team to provide requirements guidance during solution development and implementation.
• Works with MoD customer as required to determine detailed requirements during a project and to successfully execute a project.
• Works with other BDUK and Boeing staff when required.
• Hold a good degree with a computer science or equivalent/related background.
• Excellent working knowledge of the entire software development lifecycle:
- In particular: object oriented design and C++
- Or similar languages: C#, Java etc.
• Relevant commercial experience (outstanding graduates considered)
• Ability to work well in a small, highly motivated and competitive team environment
• Be innovative and lateral in thought, a solutions thinker
• Excellent communications skills
• Ability to work on own initiative after tasking direction
• Some knowledge or experience with at least one or more of the following would be advantageous:
Modelling and simulation tools, techniques and methodologies
- Virtual and constructive simulation
Conceptual understanding of the Defence sector and Operations Research
- TCP, UDP etc.
- In particular: Defence related protocols, such as DIS/HLA
Small scale parallel programming
- Multi-threading, GPGPU
Real-time software development
Agile software design methodologies, unit testing, Test Driven Development (TDD)
Open-source C++ software development toolkits
- STL, Qt, Boost
3D graphics and scene graphs:
- OpenGL, OpenSceneGraph
Centralised/distributed version control
- SVN, Git
Additional software development languages
- Java, C#, .NET Framework, Python, Scala, Clojure
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply asap for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.