29th November 2019
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Role: Senior Android Developer
Location: Osterley, West London
Rate: Up to £ 585 based on relevant experience
Duration: 3 months but likeliness to extend
We entertain, excite and inspire our customers with a great choice of high-quality content. We strive to be the best for our customers and our people, and to make a positive contribution to life in the UK, Germany, Italy and Ireland. We're always looking for ways to improve. That spirit has made us what we are today, and it will drive us to become what we want to be tomorrow.
The opportunity would see you join the Mobile Client software development team, which forms part of a much wider collection of teams that develop the Mobile platform and associated clients. Together we use cutting edge, highly scalable, technology to delight our customers with online services which allow them to consume content online and on numerous hardware platforms.
As a Senior Android Developer within the Mobile Client team you would:
* Collaborate daily with the implementation team (developers, analysts, product owners, etc.) to help produce acceptance criteria for user stories, providing technical and domain expertise that helps drive decision making
* Developing high quality, testable and performant software using agile practices
* Contributing to the technical direction of the team
* Implementing new features according their acceptance criteria, as well as maintaining and improving the existing features/codebase with an incremental and continuous improvement approach to deliver
* Quality should be at the heart of everything you do. Along with the wider team, you'll be responsible for ensuring quality and security of the application. This will include writing and maintain existing unit tests (TDD), and helping drive forward our efforts in to adopt BDD.
* Help maintain and improve existing process and policies
* Build solid relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Skills and Experience:
It is essential that you can immediately add value to our team and be able to contribute to our team's velocity from day one. Therefore we think it is essential that you have knowledge and experience of as many of the following items as possible:
* Excellent knowledge of the Android Platform
* Strong understanding of Kotlin
* Development experience in one or more OOP languages
* Knowledge and experience of a wide range of Agile methodologies and best practices (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.). You'll be a champion for agile best practices and be able to discuss the various practices and their benefits in detail
* Solid background in, and knowledge of OOP design patterns and best practices is essential
* Excellent communicator, having worked collaboratively in teams of various sizes, liaising with stakeholders across the business.
* RESTful service integration
* Experience and knowledge of TDD and associated frameworks
* Experience using Source Control (Git)
* Experience using Continuous Integration (Jenkins, etc.). Must be able to setup/maintain a CI environment
* Experience in writing Espresso tests
* Logical thinker with excellent problem solving skills
* Must be willing to learn and feel passionately about continuous improvement
* Organised and self-motivated with an ability to prioritise and manage workload
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical audiences
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to use them in consensus building
* Ability to innovate and adapt based on team needs
Bonus Points Skills and Experience:
* Experience developing IPTV applications
* Pair programming experience (used on certain tasks where valuable)
* Experience/knowledge of BDD
* You have an excellent grasp of the Java fundamentals and have extensive experience in building mobile applications in Android.
* You are competent with native Android and love to learn the latest libraries to improve your productivity.
* You are experienced in building phone and tablet user-interfaces that scale to screen size.
* You are a team player and recognise the benefits of TDD, BDD and Agile principles.
* You love getting involved in all parts of the development process, collaborating closely in a cross-functional team.
* You are creative and keen to push forward internal development through participating in guilds, sharing knowledge and keeping on top of the latest technologies.