Senior Web Application Developer - Birmingham - PHP - £60,000
Senior Web Application Developer - Birmingham - £60,000
My client is an award winning and leading global solutions provider based in the heart of Birmingham city centre. They are looking for a Senior Web Application Developer to work within an existing team on maintaining and further developing the back-end/ Server-Side code of the large and complex MVC application used by many major global media companies from satellite / cable broadcasters to sports rights owners and movie studios in order to manage the security of their premium video content.
The ideal candidate will come from a strong web application development background and will have on the job experience working on multi-tiered complex web applications.
What the day to day will look like
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using best of breed software development practices.
- Guiding and mentoring junior team members
- Developing functions for data validation and pushing into / pulling from databases / unstructured data stores.
- Implementing worker / task runner components, working through a central task orchestration system, to interface with other internal solution components (video fingerprint identification, watermark extraction etc.) and external services (email sending etc.).
- Integrating data from various back-end services and databases.
- Gathering and refining specifications and requirements based on technical needs.
- Creating and maintaining software documentation.
What you need
- BEng / MEng / BSc / MSc in relevant subject or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of MVC pattern based development, and familiarity with Laravel in particular.
- Knowledge of Linux / Unix environments.
- Experience with relational databases, particularly MySQL.
- Familiarity with software configuration management (SCM) concepts and version control systems, especially Git.
Desirable experience, skills and tools
- Knowledge of application cloud architectures and AWS services.
- Experience with Continuous Integration / Deployment (Jenkins, GitLab etc.), application deployment (Puppet, Chef) and Docker.
What you will get in return?
- Benefits include flexible working options, pension scheme, 25 days holiday which increases with length of service, plus extra day off for your birthday, Group Health Insurance and more!
- You will work at the cutting edge of a high growth industry with an opportunity to shape the technical vision of a large cloud-based platform.
- You will have the opportunity to work on solutions for some of the biggest and most well-known sports and entertainment brands in the world.
- Our hardware products are installed in broadcast head-ends worldwide, and our software components are deployed into millions of set-top boxes and streaming video players worldwide.