Senior Network Engineer
15th November 2019
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Senior Network Engineer
A member of the IS team providing support for Networks for the Cyber Defence (CDP) Business, but to also support Corporate IT Systems as required.
To undertake Technical Management for all Network Devices and Infrastructure and to advise on and provide Operational support for Live Services. This will include administering and maintaining internal and customer owned Network Devices, i.e. Switches, Firewalls Routers, owning and ensuring progression of maintenance schedules, system upgrades and service desk tickets. To ensure the amount of live system downtime is minimised by the timely recovery of incidents tickets in line with Service Level Agreements and through the successful and controlled implementation of technically sound Changes. To liaise with the relevant stakeholders regarding resolution of Network related problems. To support bid / project teams as required providing technical advice and progressing technical build activities for Networks Infrastructure and Devices in line with agreed tasking.
Technical Responsibility and Management for all Network Infrastructure and Devices (Firewalls, Switches and Routers) including the development of 'standard' builds/services for adoption across the CDP estate to gain maximum efficiency and effectiveness in Network deployments. E.g. Network Services/Systems are quick/simple to design, build, deploy and easier to maintain and operate.
Technical Leadership of all staff directly (or indirectly) managing and supporting Network Devices/Infrastructure.
Assurance of Technical Changes including:
- Provision of technical assurance for CDP and customer requests for change;
Review of changes to ensure they contain sufficient technical detail, sensible rollback actions and use appropriate engineering processes;
- Recommendation on approval/denial of change request including any appropriate amendments;
- Leveraging lessons learned from similar previously implemented changes;
- Own, manage and ensure the Configuration Records for all Network Systems deployed across the CDP estate are maintained and up to date.
- Ensure relevant Network Infrastructure/device documentation is full and complete and ensure highlighted shortfalls are communicated and addressed.
- Leading incident and problem ticket resolution for Network systems and ensuring these issues are addressed within the required SLA.
- Provide out-of-hours support for CDP Services via the on-call rota. Attend site out of hours as required and ensure any retrospective actions relating to emergency solutions are completed without delay.
- Proven and in-depth experience and knowledge with at least 8 years' experience in the Network discipline.
- Experience in delivering Network Security technology support or project delivery, with experience in Firewalls and ideally threat and vulnerability assessment.
- The ability to provide leadership and motivation within the Networks team;
- Mentor Networks team members and support them through the product life cycle areas of design, build, test and operate;
- Campus and Data Centre focused Cisco devices, namely Catalyst & Nexus 5xxx switches.
- Edge and Branch Cisco devices, namely Cisco ISR (IOS) & ASR routers (XE) - knowledge of OSPF, HSRP, CoPP, VRF, VLANs, ACLs, STP, VTP.
- Firewalls namely Cisco ASA 55xx-X and Juniper ScreenOS (NSRP/Failover, VPN, NAT)
BGP routing protocol.
- Palo Alto Firewall (PanOS).
- Monitoring tools, e.g. Nagios, Solarwinds.
- Reasonable Knowledge of Virtualisation platforms (e.g. VMware), Linux, Windows.
- Minimum CCNA Certified, preferred CCNP.
- Good communication and presentation skills with an ability to communicate appropriately at differing levels.
- ITIL v3.0 Framework Certificate or equivalent experience of an ITIL Service Management Implementation.
- Knowledge of ISO 27001.