Senior Software Developer - Informatics
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
£41259 - £49922
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary range: £41,259 to £49,922 (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits.
We are seeking a software developer with proven bioinformatic skills to join the Human Genetics Informatics (HGI) team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. HGI is a development team responsible for providing efficient access to cutting-edge analysis methods to human genetics faculty groups at the Sanger Institute.
This role will involve working as part of the HGI team to deliver and optimise biological pipelines producing data for further analysis by human genetics faculty research groups. You should be able to demonstrate familiarity with bioinformatic pipelines (e.g. variant calling pipelines) and ideally have dealt with large-scale / high volume genomic query tools. As part of the HGI team, you will have access to Sanger's world-class computational resources, including an OpenStack private cloud environment, a 15000+ core computational cluster and many petabytes of high-speed distributed file systems and object stores.
You will be expected to work both independently and closely with colleagues to develop, debug, and optimize their code; and to be comfortable communicating directly with scientific researchers regarding analysis requirements.
Recent graduates or current students in their final year are also encouraged to apply, although it is strongly desirable that any candidate has substantial development experience outside of coursework (e.g. work experience, participation in open source projects or the pursuit of personal coding projects).
Candidates will be expected to provide a cover letter explaining why they want to work at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in this role, and what specific qualities they can bring. In addition, please ensure that CV's are reasonably brief (2-3 pages).
* Experience in bioinformatics analysis
* Experience of high-performance computing and environments (e.g. LSF or Slurm)
* Knowledge of core computer science concepts and practices
* Capable of quickly learning and using the most suitable programming language for the job, including both interpreted and compiled languages
* Experience with Git and GitHub
* Knowledge of Linux based operating systems, libraries, and tools
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Motivation and attention to detail
* Familiarity with one or more existing genomic variant callers (e.g. GATK)
* Experience with large-scale genomic data analysis tools (e.g. Hail)
* Knowledge of virtualization/containerisation technologies (Docker, Singularity)
* Knowledge (or experience) of Cloud environments (OpenStack, GCP, AWS)
* Familiarity with Cloud technologies (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GitHub CI)
* Experience with relational and non-relational databases
For any position related questions please contact Vivek Iyer ()
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme
* Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Closing date: 7 April 2019 however the role will remain open until filled with applications considered on an on-going basis.