Senior Software Developer - HuBMAP
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
20th December 2018
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
£41,650 pro rata, 1 year contract (30 hours/4 days per week)
With the possibility of renewal for up to 3 additional years
The Teichmann lab is seeking a scientific programmer to work on a collaborative NIH-funded effort with the Computational Biology Department in the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) to create a 3D molecular and anatomical map of the human body.
Under the supervision of the head of Cellular Genetics Informatics at Wellcome Sanger Institute and in collaboration with the CMU faculty involved in this effort, the candidate is expected to develop and adapt web and cloud-based software tools for the analysis of high-throughput imaging and genomic biological data.
As part of this project the candidate will join a team that consists of programmers at CMU. The team would also be involved in establishing data formats, APIs and schemas for the software developed, and would help determine procedures for data analysis and quality control.
This is a unique opportunity to join an outstanding team that is working on one of the most important challenges in computational and systems biology and to collaborate with leading experimental and computational researchers in the US and abroad.
Although experience of software development or bioinformatics would be an advantage, applications are welcome from enthusiastic and committed graduates or candidates from other fields who wish to pursue a career in bioinformatics whilst carrying out a challenging and rewarding role.
The goal of the Human BioMolecular Atlas Program (HuBMAP) is to catalyse development of a framework for mapping of the human body with cellular resolution to enhance our understanding of tissue organization and function.
* An undergraduate degree (MSc an advantage) in Computer Science, Computational Biology or a related discipline
* Experience in the development of large, web-based software
* Knowledge of Linux/Unix based operating systems, libraries, and tools
* Knowledge of code versioning tools such as Git, Mercurial or SVN
* Strong collaboration and communication skills
* Keen to learn and share ideas and knowledge
* Experience with back-end programming languages and frameworks including:
* Experience with database systems a plus
* Practical knowledge of cloud-based infrastructures
* Experience of workflow management IT systems
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre and committed to training the next generation of genome scientists. Focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease and a world leader in the genomic revolution, our mission is to use genome sequences to advance understanding of human and pathogen biology in order to improve human health. We aim to provide results that can be translated into diagnostics, treatments or therapies that reduce global health burdens. Our science is large-scale and organised into Programmes, led by our Faculty who conceive and deliver our science, and supported by our Scientific Operations teams responsible for all data production pipelines at the Institute.
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity's greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
* Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
* Group Income Protection
* Private Health Insurance
* 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
* Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme, Campus Nursery and Summer holiday club
* Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
* Employee Discount Scheme
* Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
* Active Campus Sports and Social Club
* Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date for applications: 21st January 2019