Enterprise Architect (Corporate Focus)
About the department
Our IT Vision is "A railway that runs on data, powered by technology that builds new destinations in the lives of everyone". This role truly has the opportunity to positively contribute to the lives of everyone by making clever business and technology choices for the railway.
The Chief Information Technology Office (CITO) provides professional services to lead guide and govern the Business Aligned IT Strategy across Network Rail, enabling business outcomes through empowered IT decision-making. The IT Strategy focuses on building new value for Network Rail, its partners, suppliers and most important of all, its customers.
• Forward Thinking - Working closely with customers to shape strategic direction
• Outward Facing - Greater emphasis on enabling future value delivery and risk mitigation
• Enterprise Wide - Taking an outside-in and cross-Network Rail wide perspective on business and technology
• Innovative - Providing technology thought leadership and supporting adoption of emerging technology
The team comprises Enterprise Architects, Analysts and Solution architects; we work closely with a growing community of Architects throughout Network Rail, the Rail Industry and in the Route Services IT function.
About the Role
Are you looking for a change in your career? Are you passionate about joining Network rail?
In this role you will assist Network Rail to deliver its responsibilities and services to its internal and external stakeholders and customers through Corporate segment enterprise architecture engagement and outputs.
You will bring corporate industry best practice to the railway coupled with excellent business insight to help us grow our capability, be more efficient, reliable and safe. Network Rail is many businesses in one - we manage infrastructure, plan and deliver train paths, operate a telecoms network, manage a complex supply chain and logistics and, like any business, we manage our people, finances and stakeholder/regulatory dedications. As Network Rail continues to devolve its accountability to route businesses, you will apply best practice and emerging business and technology for HR, Finance, and supply chain management.
You will work within the CITO EA function in the Corporate Services EA Segment to align business and technology strategy with our corporate colleagues. Corporate business serves the rest of Network Rail so you will naturally work seamlessly with the Assets and Trains EA segments and with the Digital Business Platform technology segment. The latter is important as you will want to find opportunities for business efficiency and customer service excellence through application of modern digital technologies and operating models (e.g. IOT, Robotic Process Automation, Low-Code, Data Science).
• You will have ownership of the enterprise architecture development for business segment(s) and / or domains including one or more of Assets, Trains, Corporate, Digital Business Platform segments and/or Business, Information domains, and into rail industry ecosystems.
• Manage a team of analysts and other architects to engage, research, develop and communicate the enterprise architecture.
• Guide people, process, business model opportunity, risk and change through dedicated business architecture advice and guidance.
• Guide information and data opportunities including classification, sharing, quality improvement and monetisation (incl. reputational, financial, gain-share).
• Leading business application and technology opportunity and risk reduction in context of NR strategic business objectives.
• Maximise opportunities to adopt and innovate using Digital Business Platform.
• Engaging with NR and industry business and technology stakeholders to understand strategic business objectives.
• You will ensure that the various views comprising the enterprise architecture are consistent and coherent, at an appropriate level of detail. Control changes so as to maintain internal consistency and excellent integration with other architecture using EA tooling and documentation.
• Informing Business Aligned IT Strategy through detailed segment and/or domain understanding.
• You will support the maintenance of these architectures to reflect changes to business and RSIT strategy for new requirements, emergence of technology innovations and changes to the business.
• Provide technology and business leaders as well as the change teams (incl. RSIT Portfolio Managers, Solution Architects and industry partners) with a clear understanding of the enterprise architecture standards, patterns and framework.
• You will develop and maintain Enterprise Architecture products including target states, reference architecture, patterns, roadmaps and stakeholder views/presentations to support and guide NR business leaders and change initiatives.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• A balance of business, information, application and technology architecture proficiency. Use of appropriate standard and custom methods including business model/value canvas, capability modelling, service design, design thinking.
• Ability to take a strategic view and see the ‘big picture’ allied to the ability to adopt an analytical approach to complex change programmes with the awareness of operational implications
• Experience of operating at a senior level, building effective relationships and dealing with executive colleagues, and stakeholders NR wide
• Display high level of analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to assimilate complex information, to facilitate escalation and resolution of issues
• Excellent influencing and communication skills (technical authoring, architecture "marketing”, multi-channel presentations)
• Ability to take ownership of large scale problem areas - breaking down into planned and manageable activities.
• Business and commercial acumen - understanding business models, financial drivers, competition
• Experience of enterprise level architectural development across all domains, including experience of ‘system of systems’ architecture development
• Relevant experience and/or qualifications such as TOGAF, MODAF, SaFE, Zachman, Systems Engineering Certification.
• Knowledge of business systems and their application (e.g. corporate, supply chain, asset management, financial, HR, engineering)
• Experience of digital business technologies including (IOT, API, Big Data, Security, Hybrid Cloud, Collaboration, Content Management)
• Negotiation skills for EA governance - trade-off analysis, conflict resolution, inspiring change, risk assessment
• Substantial experience of corporate process architecture development and deployment
• Process Management and workflow concepts and technologies (e.g. Oracle Workflow)
• Experience of the application of industry frameworks and maturity models including COBIT, ITIL, P3M, MoP, MSP, PRINCE2, P3M3 and CMMI.
• Information Security Concepts, Standards (BS7799/InfoSec), Infrastructure and Technologies
• EA within a nationally distributed and federated organisation
• Enterprise architecture tooling selection and EA data management and reporting
• Leadership experience in other parts of the IT lifecycle - including build, service, operations, supplier management.
Do you have the experience needed?
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3,000 (to a maximum amount of £2,250).
Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Network Rail adheres to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range: £77,414-£87,091.
As an arm’s length department of the UK Government, Network Rail is required to comply with a well-established pre-employment vetting process for all prospective employees.
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) checks require prospective employees of Network Rail to meet the following requirements;
• Provide eligibility to work in the UK and identity documentation
• Complete a satisfactory 3 year employment history check
• Complete a satisfactory unspent criminal conviction disclosure check
For more information regarding BPSS pre-employment related checks, please visit the UK Government website for further information - UK Government - BPSS Checks
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.
Closing date: 17.12.18, late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
It is a requirement of the role to live within 90 minutes commuting time of The Quadrant Milton Keynes.