Data Scientist (Supply Chain Transformation)
||Welwyn Garden City
About the job
The Supply Chain Team is a global operation responsible for getting hundreds of millions of products from farms and factories to our millions of customers each and every day.
We've built our reputation on frequently reinventing our supply chain to respond to how our customers want to shop. In the 60s we were the first to design a supply chain to serve out of town supermarkets. In the 90s we supported the first 24 hour stores for the first time. And in 2000 we led the way in introducing online grocery shopping.
The demands on Tesco's supply chain have never been greater. Our customers want more flexibility in the way that they shop and demand an ever growing range of products. You have the opportunity to be part of the team that responds to that challenge and again transforms Tesco's supply chain to provide outstanding value to our customers irrespective of how, where or what they want to shop.
When you start in our team we expect you to quickly make a difference, taking accountability for work that influences what happens in all our stores across the UK. With millions of customers each week, our store colleagues will be relying on you to exercise your responsibilities with skill and dedication.
Therefore we have to recruit the best people. We're looking for analytical problem solvers, energetic & creative thinkers, people that are passionate about our products and customers.
We hugely value our colleagues. We believe in and invest in a culture of learning, improvement and personal development. We encourage an inspiring, honest and fun culture in which you are supported to become the best you can be, whilst also being yourself at all times.
Only in Supply Chain can you experience the challenge of being part of a global operation, along with the opportunity to strategically influence and transform one of the UK's most important businesses.
As a Data Scientist, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Solve Data Science problems and participate in the majority of the project lifecycle
- Understand difficult Supply Chain problems and prototype solutions
- Analyse and link complex datasets so that they may be learned from or optimised
- Build mathematical models on top of big data architectures to gain deep insights into opportunities to improve the customer experience and the Tesco business
- Communicate complex solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts
We are looking for a Data Scientist with a strong knowledge of the Data Science Toolkit (Maths & Stats, Programming, Machine Learning, Communication & Visualisation) who evangelises Data Science.
Mathematical & Statistical Understanding:
- A strong numerical higher degree in a mathematical, scientific, engineering or computer science discipline with application to Data Science
- The ability to use your academic knowledge and commercial experience to tackle specific business problems
- An analytical mind set and the ability to use your academic knowledge to tackle specific business problems
- Experience with different programming languages and a good grasp of at least one language - Python, Scala, Java, R (or similar)
- Understanding of common data structures and algorithms.
- Use of version control
- Experience working with open source Data Science environments
- Knowledge of open source big-data technology such as Apache Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Pig, MapReduce
A proven track record of:
- Contributing to the success of high impact Data Science projects within complex organisations
- Generating insights from large data sets containing event records for millions of customers
- Partnering with technology teams to productionize your developments and roll out at scale
- A background or strong understanding of the retail sector, logistics and/or ecommerce would be advantageous but is not required
About the company
Tesco has become a market leader by doing the little things that really matter for our customers and colleagues. It is part of what makes Tesco such a great place to work and we are proud to have been accredited as one of Britain’s Top Employers again this year.
We are the UK's number one retailer and we pride ourselves on offering a great shopping experience. We are passionate about our food, merchandise and services and will always try to get things right for our customers.
But did you know we also offer great job opportunities? With stores, distribution centres and offices across the UK, we have a vast variety of roles and we are always looking for people who have a hunger to work with customers and colleagues across our exciting business. We believe in treating each other with respect and giving everyone an equal opportunity to get on. It's our people that make the difference every day - helping us make a difference for our customers.
We are proud to have an inclusive culture at Tesco where everyone is welcome and truly feels able to be themselves. At Tesco, we not only celebrate diversity, but recognise the value and opportunity it brings to enable us to serve our shoppers a little better every day. We strive to create a workforce that reflects our customers not only here in the UK, but worldwide. Our aim is to attract and welcome a diverse range applicants from all walks of life and we would love to hear from you!
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren’t limited to:
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Buy As You Earn Scheme
- Save As You Earn Scheme
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.