Hadoop Principal Developer
||£37,800 - £51,000
What it’s about:
The Data Lab is a small team who run an onsite Hadoop system supported by Hortonworks. The key role of the developer is to archive data from legacy systems, work with data science team, manage data within Hadoop and be capable of working closely with other technical teams.
What you will be doing
• Producing design and estimations, delivery of developments to budget in the given technology and when required producing detailed technical specification for third party resources and / or in-house custom development.
• Assist the architectural solution through involvement with the solution architect / business users.
• To ensure within a program or project the technical solution follows the high level design and architectural solution both within the given technology or across the technology portfolio. Report on progress of development or issues and risks for onward dissemination.
• Research, present and test cutting edge technologies within CA policies and practices
• Definition / ownership and adherence of the development standards / processes in the given technology
• To mentor less experienced development resource within the given technology to support continuous learning and improvement.
What you’ll bring to the team:
• Agile project life cycle
• Data Modelling
• Hadoop developer experience using Java, python or scala
• Data management in HDFS and Hive
• Writing bash scripts
• Using tools like oozie and sqoop
• As a relational database senior developer for 2 years min
• Illustrating a complete understanding of Data Lifecycle including design, development, testing and implementation complex data models
• Monitoring and troubleshooting data issues
• Using ETL tools in Analytics, Reporting, MDM, Data Governance
Technical Requirements Summary:
The types of solutions you would be expected to collaborate on will require you to demonstrate an:-
• In-depth experience of data modelling - creating a schema from a logical or physical models
• In-depth experience of project life cycles - ability to work within an agile team or to work to a Waterfall or PrinceII project plan
• In-depth experience of data life cycles, data governance, QA testing (using scripts) and good working practices - ability to demonstrate secure and good working practices relating to the ingestion, storing, testing and management of data
• In-depth experience of Sqoop, Oozie, Bash Scripts, Spark, MapReduce, HDFS, Hive, Java, Scala, Python, R - the ability to use these tools to manage data within the Hadoop cluster and to transfer these skills to new tools CA adopts
• In depth experience of cutting edge tools like NiFi, Kafka, Storm, Spark - demonstrate the ability to use and train other developers to use these tools effectively and to transfer these skills to new tools CA adopts
• Knowledge of data management tools like Collibra - understanding of what how data management tools work
• Knowledge of Cloud technologies - demonstrate an understanding of cloud technologies like AWS, AZURE, etc
About Cambridge Assessment
Cambridge Assessment is Europe's largest assessment group, incorporating three major awarding bodies. It plays a leading role in researching, developing and delivering assessment to eight million candidates in 170 countries every year. The Group is a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
• Generous contributory pension
• 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
• Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
• Enhanced maternity/paternity pay and childcare voucher scheme
• Childcare vouchers
• Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
• Cycle scheme
• Season Ticket Loan
• Subsidised staff restaurants
• Support for professional qualifications
• Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms.
Work/life balance is important to us here at Cambridge Assessment, and we offer colleagues a range of flexible working options which suit both the business and the employee. Please let us know of flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 1 July and interviews will be held on week commencing 9 July 2018.
To find out more and to apply for this role, please click the APPLY button.
As a fair and equal employer, we want to make sure you have all the information you need about the job, so we always incorporate the job description into our ads. If you’re invited for interview, you’ll also receive that job description as a separate document.
In this spirit of transparency, if you’re successful at interview stage we will ask you to undergo background screening (carried out by Credence Background Screening Ltd), to ensure that all information provided to us is accurate. We wish you all the very best with your application.