Software Development Engineer - II (GMO)
||Welwyn Garden City
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
About the Tesco Technology GMO Team
GMO Technology team is an e-commerce group within Tesco responsible for building and enhancing features across the GMO platform that comprises of order channels like a responsive Website, Order-by-phone, Instore tills and self-service Kiosks. The platform has support applications like Business Control Centre that helps merchandisers with web hierarchy, price and promotions management. We also have a Call Centre Application that caters to after sales contact for order amendments, cancellation, Returns & refunds.
We handle millions of customer requests per day, ranging from product search, basket additions, to order placement. We deliver valuable outcomes to Tesco through a data-led and agile product-based approach whilst balancing the need for delivery with our commitment to obtain the highest possible standards of availability, reliability and security. Every millisecond of latency improvement is important to us.
Features on our platform built/enhanced utilising a wide range of technologies including:
* Java, J2EE, Ruby, Cucumber
* ATG eCommerce framework, Elastic Search, Endeca, Akamai;
* Backbone.JS, React JS , CSS3 , HTML5, Jlint
* Amazon Web Services, Jenkins, Chef, Linux;
* Oracle, MS SQL Server.
We take responsibility for the software through its entire lifecycle. We practice continuous integration and delivery and support our code through to production and beyond. We give teams the autonomy to work in the way that best suits them whilst maintaining some shared ceremonies including a regular show and tell session.
The role involves the following activities:
* leading engineers to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with
* Pair programming to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with
* Writing tests - very often before the associated code - at unit level with Junit, Mockito and in BDD style with Ruby/Cucumber
* Reviewing pull requests and giving good feedback
* Attending backlog refinement and planning sessions to discuss and estimate (small, medium, large) upcoming stories
* Taking part in understanding requirements and designing GMO platform features and their implementations
* Supporting the service, both during office hours and out of hours via paid support rota
* Championing Devops
* Implementing monitoring and alerting mechanisms via AppD, Splunk, Runscope and other tools
* Building for security and user data privacy
* Being involved with attracting and interviewing further excellent engineers for Tesco.
Experience relevant for this job:
* Java and ideally other JVM languages such as Ruby.
* Designing and building distributed systems, for scalability, availability and performance.
* Testing everything, automating everything.
Skills relevant for the job
* Written and verbal communication skills.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
* Customer focus.
* Innovative approach to problem solving.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.