Web Software Engineer
||Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
||£50,000 - £50,000
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Salary in the region of £50,000 plus excellent benefits
Fixed Term for 8 months
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and Centre for Genomic Pathogen Surveillance is seeking a motivated and talented Web Software Engineer to focus on data processing / visualisation and delivery of genomic data, via the web, as part of the Gates Funded Global Pneumococcal Sequencing Project. The postholder will work within a team expanding and improving bioinformatics services, increasing code test coverage and automated integration testing. The postholder will also have domain responsibility for delivery of information to the community of pneumococcal researchers, public health labs and policy makers key in influencing decisions based on outputs of data analytics.
The most complex part of the role will be the development of scalable visualisation, management of data and collaborators for delivering analysis of complex biological datasets from whole genome sequences of pneumococcal pathogens.
* Master's degree or above in computer-related sciences or equivalent experience
* Substantial experience in back-end web application development
* Using middleware to distribute tasks and integrate a heterogeneous system
* Design and management of a distributed multi-server system
* Evidence of a high level of competence in Java 7, along with Maven, JUnit, Jackson, and Slf4J or similar frameworks
* A high level of communication skills to be able to elicit complex requirements from, and convey complex requirements to, groups with differing technical backgrounds
* Ability to prioritise tasks, organise work effectively and crucially, work as part of a team
* Excellent problem solving skills
* Ability to present and give positive input and discussion at meetings (E)
* Linux VM setup and provisioning, preferably RHEL and/or Ubuntu
* Couchbase and the Couchbase Java Client Library
* RabbitMQ and the Java Client Library
* Vagrant + Chef, including writing new Chef scripts for provisioning
* Jersey web service servlets, in Tomcat/Jetty or similar
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service. Our thriving Sports and Social Club provides many opportunities to meet with people working across the campus.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date for applications: 21st December 2017, however applications will be considered and reviewed on an on-going basis and therefore the post may be filled before the deadline.