Senior Software Manager
The Wellcome Sanger Institute
31st October 2018
£45556 - £55123
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Salary range £45,556 to £55,123 per annum plus benefits
We are recruiting for a development manager to lead an established team delivering software to support the cellular and genomics operational facilities at the Sanger Institute in Cambridge.
You will be experienced with Agile development methods that foster a servant leadership culture. We typically use Scrum with certified Scrum Masters and Product Owners yet remain open and curious to evaluating other approaches that manage the uncertainty in delivering software.
You will be experienced modelling complex domains. You will be working closely with the development team, scientists in operations and senior partners to identify and design features that add new value to organisation. We typically use combinations of UML, user stories, mock-ups, informal whiteboarding and occasionally prototyping to build a shared understanding of what is required.
You will have a passion for process improvement. You will have experience participating in retrospectives, be comfortable using games beyond starfish to identify areas for improvement and celebrate great team working. You may have some experience with system thinking tools to engage with more complex situations.
You have a worldview of investing in the capability of the team through formal study, tactical project tasks and pairing to build team capacity. We guide and sponsor our developers though Open University degrees, MOOCS and on-site lectures to support their professional development.
You will have a technical background in software development. You will have experience with XP practices and familiarity with the tools and technologies a development team use to maintain the quality of a product over years of production use and change. You will be confident gaining practical knowledge in new technologies and what opportunities this could bring to the team.
You will have experience in mentoring or managing small-(2-3) to medium-(4-6) sized development teams. You should have demonstrable success in being part of a team that has learnt from failure and triumph. You may be an experienced manager or a senior developer wanting to step into management
We favour RESTful web services and Message bus services to integrate our software. Software can be monoliths or microservices. We are increasing using private cloud technologies to deploy test and production systems to the Ubuntu O/S. Today RabbitMQ, Packer, Ansible, Terraform and Openstack support this strategy.
What we can offer you
* Delivering opensource software to support science at scale at one of the world's leading cellular & genomics institutes. Be part of some of the amazing advancements in science. You can find more on Git Hub (https://github.com/sanger) and the Sanger web site (https://www.sanger.ac.uk/news/archive )
* The autonomy to choose and refine the process you use to deliver software in collaboration with the team and the customer. Success will influence the technical strategy of the organisation.
* Face to face discussion and timely feedback with the domain experts, our scientists to regularly deliver software that improves our operational process.
* Access to our mentoring and coaching network to support your personal growth.
* A ringfenced training budget to invest in yourself and your team for training and conferences.
* An academic culture that is embracing commercial opportunities, informal dress code and excellent benefits package outlined below.
We will consider full time and part time (minimum of 30 hours per week) applications equally.
Closing date: 27th November, 2018