Kafka Infrastructure Engineer
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Come help us build the next generation cloud platform to support internet services across Apple. Our platform server engineering team develops and deploys software which forms the foundation for some of our most exciting services, including iCloud, Maps, iTunes, and more. Our software ensures that Apple's services are reliable, scalable, fast, and secure. We support both open source and home-grown technologies to provide internal Apple developers with a managed Topic-as-a-Service built on Apache Kafka. In this role you will have the unique opportunity to own and deliver key components in Apple's growing suite of infrastructure services.
- Develop creative and robust software solutions for automating the operations of large distributed systems
- Build tools and processes that enable effective monitoring, debugging, and capacity planning of Kafka clusters
- Work closely with other software and systems engineers to improve the availability, reliability, utilization, and scalability of our services
- Support engineering teams in integrating with mission-critical infrastructure services
- Participate in an on-call schedule that's shared with team members in the UK and US
- Knowledge of Linux, operating systems, networking protocols, security, and file systems
- Familiarity with DNS, HTTP, message queues, RPC frameworks, databases, and Linux tools
- Experience in designing, implementing, and managing systems that offer self-service and self-healing capabilities
- Passion for building automation tools in Java and Python, with a focus on writing high-quality code, tests, and documentation
- Deep knowledge of or willingness to learn Apache Kafka internals and ecosystem
- Familiarity in systems-level Java essentials: garbage collection internals, concurrency models, native & async IO, off-heap memory management, etc.
- Excitement for Agile methodologies, including pair programming, TDD, and continuous delivery of software
- Great interpersonal skills and a deep sense of ownership for small tasks and large projects alike
We are looking for a world-class Infrastructure Engineer with experience in developing processes, tools, and automation for managing distributed systems in production environments. We balance our time across automating operations for our growing footprint of deployments, building self-service products to empower internal customers, and increasing the reliability of our services with application and systems-level improvements. We’re looking for someone who has worked with Apache Kafka — but we value potential as highly as experience.
You’ll be familiar with the broader field of distributed queues, storage, and data streaming, and you're excited by the prospect of working collaboratively with other groups to deliver truly amazing services to our users. You will be able to demonstrate a strong practical understanding of how to develop and operate practical, fault-tolerant high-performance distributed systems. You're also excited about applying practical systems-level knowledge to understand and solve problems under and over the hood.
BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
Experience or excitement for deploying and operating Apache Kafka clusters in production environments, including building knowledge and familiarity with data rebalancing, mirroring, monitoring, and configuration
Knowledge and experience with ZooKeeper, Flume, Hadoop, Spark, Storm, Active/Open/RabbitMQ, Cassandra and other Big Data technologies preferred
Familiarity with modern front-end frameworks e.g. React, Angular, or Ember.
This role may require occasional international travel/transatlantic travel.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.