Software Development Engineer I - Identity Service
||Welwyn Garden City
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
About the Tesco Technology Identity Service team
Within the Identity Service we build and are responsible for the APIs that power our ability to authenticate Tesco customers, colleagues, suppliers and services. We handle millions of requests per day, ranging from Clubcard transactions in store, customers logging into tesco.com through to API services calling each other. We are central to almost every technology oriented journey that Tesco has. If you've ever shopped in a store, or with us online, you've indirectly been a user of Identity.
We deliver valuable outcomes to Tesco through a data-led and agile product-based approach whilst balancing the need for delivery with our commitment to obtain the highest possible standards of availability, reliability and security. Every millisecond of latency improvement is important to us.
We build modern event-driven and Restful services utilising a wide range of technologies including:
* Java, Vert.X, RxJava, Groovy;
* .net / C#;
* Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Linux;
* Apache Cassandra, Apacke Kafka, Oracle, SQL Server.
We take responsibility for the software through its entire lifecycle. We practice continuous integration and delivery and support our code through to production and beyond. We give teams the autonomy to work in the way that best suits them whilst maintaining some shared ceremonies including a regular show and tell session.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
As a Software Development Engineer II within Identity your primary responsibility is to design, build and run technology solutions to deliver valuable outcomes to our customers, colleagues and partners within a team of 8-9 engineers working closely with a product manager.
Specifically, you will:
* Pair with other engineers to write high quality code that's easy to understand and work with
* Writing tests - very often before the associated code - at various levels with Groovy/Spock
* Review pull requests and give constructive feedback
* Attend backlog planning sessions to discuss and estimate upcoming stories
* Take part in understanding requirements and designing API endpoints and their implementations.
* Support the service, both during office hours and out of hours via paid support rota
* Automate the build, provisioning and deployment in the cloud
* Implement monitoring and alerting mechanisms via Splunk, Runscope and other tools
* Build for security and user data privacy
Experience relevant for this job:
* Java and ideally other JVM languages such as Groovy.
* Designing and implementing Restful APIs
* Testing everything, automating everything.
It would be ideal if you had:
* Prior experience with Apache Cassandra and/or Apache Kafka
* Experience of developing and running code in containerised environments using Kubernetes
Skills relevant for the job:
* Written and verbal communication skills.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills.
* Customer focus.
* Innovative approach to problem solving.
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.