Front End Developer
||YO26 6BL or M15 5RL
||£36000 - £40000
||Bytemark - 17
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Position can be located in our York or Manchester offices or for the right person, remote working with travel to the offices every month.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Front-End developer with a passion for building browser-based applications. You will be a valuable and essential member of our Scrum team, working closely with other developers to build the front-end of all of Bytemark's in-house computer systems.
We will want to see some record of achievement in web application development or complex website development, though this might be from projects that were personal or not developed as part of your day job.
We've developed our own cloud hosting platform, founded on our history of building hosting products with innovative technologies.
We’re not afraid of challenges, and have learned how to turn inventive developing decisions into high-value production systems. We love putting these new ideas into production for our customers. Our uptime and long-term reputation is a critical consideration in all of our work across the business.
## What kind of company is Bytemark? ##
Bytemark is a 32-person strong hosting company founded in 2002, with around 3000 customers. Our head office is located in the beautiful, historic city of York. Our mission is to provide solid, reliable hosting with a strong focus on the UK market. We've a deep appreciation for the free software movement and as we've grown, made sure that our recruitment and management are focused on providing equal opportunities for all staff through providing a flexible 37.5-hour average work week and family-friendly employment policies.
Whilst we have a mix of staff in traditionally "technical" and "non-technical" roles, everyone in the company is encouraged to excel in their field, regardless of their position or workflow.
## Your duties would include: ##
• Translating design work into functional and appealing browser-based applications and websites
• Developing well written, tested and maintainable code
• Reviewing code of other members of the team, both senior and junior
• Participate in building specifications as part of sprint planning within the Scrum framework
• Triage and investigate issues reported on our code bases
• Communicate the work of the Development team both internally to the company, and the wider world
• Teaching and learning from others in the team, using pair programming with other developers to learn and disseminate
## Knowledge and Skills ##
# Skills we're seeking #
• Sufficient understanding of user experience, usability and UI design to be able to improve on and work around any gaps
in design work
• Ability to diagnose application desktop and mobile browser issues and performance bottlenecks
• Familiarity with revision control systems, e.g. Git
• Ability to work with staff and customers to reach satisfactory conclusions for issues reported on our software
• Ability to work within a remote team to deliver results
• Enthusiasm for code quality and testing
• Proactive and organised with excellent time-management, analytical, and multitasking skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language
• Approachable, friendly and tactful
• Experience with Node and Node-based task runners (Gulp & Grunt).
• Programming Ruby or a similar dynamic language (Python, Perl, etc.)
• UX or UI design skills.
## Career Progression ##
Your line manager will work closely with you and the HR Director to establish your learning needs and ensure that you have the training and resources you need.
We would like you to have a commitment to your own professional development and actively seek learning opportunities. Bytemark will pay for 5 days of conference or training (including expenses) each year to pique your interest and pick up new skills.
## Location ##
This position will be centered around either our York or Manchester offices. Working remotely may be possible if you have the right experience. Our company has been split between York, Manchester and several fully remote workers for years, so we have various ways of making that work.
Our whole team comes to our York HQ three times per year for a meal, catch-up and talks, but each department meets up on a much more regular basis.
## Salary and Employment benefits ##
• Salary range £36000 - £40000 gross
• Standard holiday allowance: 25 days holiday + UK bank holidays
• Extra holiday allowance: 1 day per full year of employment up to 32 days
• Allowance for home broadband service
• Bytemark administered group personal Pension Scheme (current company contribution 3%)
• Annual health cash plan & private health care
• Enhanced Maternity - 16 weeks’ pay + 8 weeks 50% pay
• Enhanced Paternity - 2 weeks’ pay + 2 weeks 50% pay
• Childcare voucher scheme
• 5 days per year allowance for training purposes
• Company-provided bicycle for employees within cycling distance
Our policies and benefits enable every staff member to balance both family and work commitments, without sacrificing individual ambition or professional development.
## Before you apply ##
Please understand these points before applying:
• You must already be eligible to work in the UK
• We will request and review references from successful candidates
• We would ask successful candidates to complete a Basic Disclosure Scotland check (which will be reimbursed)
## What are you waiting for?! ##
There's no "cultural fit" requirement. If you're product focused and can work well within a team, we'd love to have you on-board!
Apply directly through our website using our groundbreaking anonymous recruitment process