Senior Software Developer / Bioinformatician
||Wellcome Sanger Institute
||20th December 2017
||£40345 - £48818
||The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
We are looking for up to three Software Developers / Bioinformaticians to join a newly formed Cellular Genetics Informatics (CGI) team at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. CGI is a computational support team responsible for providing efficient access to cutting-edge analysis methods for Cellular Genetics (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/science/programmes/cellular-genetics) faculty groups at the Sanger Institute. The Cellular Genetics department uses a combination of high throughput experimentation and computational tool development to understand the biology of cells, and leads a number of world-class research initiatives including the Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Initiative (HIPSCI: http://www.hipsci.org) and Human Cell Atlas (https://www.humancellatlas.org). Our team's focus is the development and operation of scientific analysis workflows and tools for data analysis that support the department's research goals, as well as developing the infrastructure necessary to manage the efficient operation of those workflows.
This role will focus on development of robust production data analysis pipelines as well as implementing them on both high performance computing farm (LSF) and cloud-based (OpenStack) environments.
As part of the CGI team, the successful applicant would have access to Sanger's world-class computational resources, including an OpenStack private cloud environment, a 15000+ core computational cluster and many petabytes of high-speed distributed filesystems and object stores.
Recent graduates or current students in their final year are also encouraged to apply, although it is strongly desirable that any candidate has substantial development experience outside of coursework (e.g. active participation in open source projects or the pursuit of personal coding projects).
* Degree in Computer Science or in a related quantitative field (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics)
* Substantial experience in either software development or bioinformatics analysis
* Knowledge of core computer science concepts and practices
* Skill in a combination of interpreted and compiled languages (e.g. Java, Python, C/C++, R, Ruby)
* Experience with Git / GitHub
* Experience with high performance computing environments (e.g. LSF or SGE)
* Knowledge of virtualization/containerisation technologies (Docker, Singularity)
* Knowledge of Linux based operating systems, libraries, and tools
* Critical thinking skills and a familiarity with statistics (e.g. statistical distributions, significance tests)
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Motivation and attention to detail
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease. We use state of the art large-scale genomic approaches to drive world-leading projects to uncover the basis of genetic and infectious disease.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. It hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), Open Targets, a Biodata Innovation Centre and the Genomics England Limited's 100,000 Genomes Sequencing Centre.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application. Closing date for applications: 5th February 2018