Software Development Manager - Identity Service
||7th December 2017
||Welwyn Garden City
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
About the Tesco Technology Identity Service team
Within the Identity Service we build and are responsible for the APIs that power our ability to authenticate Tesco customers, colleagues, suppliers and services. We handle millions of requests per day, ranging from Clubcard transactions in store, customers logging into tesco.com through to API services calling each other. We are central to almost every technology oriented journey that Tesco has. If you've ever shopped in a store, or with us online, you've indirectly been a user of Identity.
We deliver valuable outcomes to Tesco through a data-led and agile product-based approach whilst balancing the need for delivery with our commitment to obtain the highest possible standards of availability, reliability and security. Every millisecond of latency improvement is important to us.
We build modern event-driven and Restful services utilising a wide range of technologies including:
* Java, Vert.X, RxJava, Groovy;
* .net / C#;
* Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Linux;
* Apache Cassandra, Apacke Kafka, Oracle, SQL Server.
We take responsibility for the software through its entire lifecycle. We practice continuous integration and delivery and support our code through to production and beyond. We give teams the autonomy to work in the way that best suits them whilst maintaining some shared ceremonies including a regular show and tell session.
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary
* Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco
* Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
As a Software Development Manager within Identity your primary responsibility is to build and maintain passionate, engaged and effective development teams. You do this through taking a deep interest in the people that report to you by making sure they are happy, motivated and challenged in what they are doing. You devolve decision-making and provide the team with the psychological safety to move fast. You guide them to reach pragmatic technical solutions and keep yourself close to the code without becoming a blocker. You take ownership when things go wrong, but celebrate success collectively. In short, you act as a multiplier of your team's effectiveness.
Specifically, you will:
* Foster the careers of the engineers reporting into you by finding opportunity for growth, coaching, addressing concerns and if necessary, implementing performance management.
* Grow the capability of Tesco Technology as a whole by becoming involved in our engineering hiring and being passionate about building high performing and diverse teams.
* Work closely with Product Management identify and minimise risk within an outcome and help prioritise and evolve a workable technical solution ready for delivery.
* Represent Identity within wider technical discussions across different stakeholder groups, and be effective in doing so by constantly broadening your understanding of the our technology landscape.
* Take ownership for the delivery of specific outcomes, or work across wider groups in conjunction with programme management to deliver more significant outcomes. Drive us to constantly improve quality.
* Take ownership of non-functional outcomes within Identity including focus on performance, availability, reliability and security.
* Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
The role will include participation in the on-call rota to support our systems in production.
Experience relevant for this job:
* Previous experience with management of software engineering teams of around 8 people in size.
* Hands-on experience in development of Restful API services and distributed systems that work at scale.
Skills relevant for the job:
* A high degree of emotional intelligence. You are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
* Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
* Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
* Written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of your audience.