IT&S Technical Analyst
||The Francis Crick Institute
||from £22,000 pa, subject to skills and experience
||The Francis Crick Institute
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
The Crick has required a state-of-the-art IT&S infrastructure to enable world-leading scientific research. The Crick’s IT&S will be science'focused, flexible, and forward-looking, and it will expedite collaboration within and beyond the Institute. Research at The Crick will be data-intensive, and will involve experimental, theoretical and computational science. IT&S will also support the business and business management systems required to run the Crick Institute
This role will report to the IT&S End User Compute Manager and will be based at the Francis Crick Institute. The requirement is for keen desktop support staff to work on the End User Device Optimisation project for a period of six months to ensure that the Crick’s desktop estate conforms to a common set of build standards.
These include but are not limited to;
- Deploying Office 2016 to all Windows and Apple desktops and laptops at the Crick
- Ensuring that all applicable operating system patches are applied on both Windows and Mac computers
- Ensuring that all end user devices conform to a build standard and are correctly named and registered in inventory systems and in Active Directory
- Ensuring that all end user devices are fully compliant with anti-virus and backup software correctly installed and operating
- Working between 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri in the IT&S End User Compute team,
- Ensuring that any BAU technical issues and queries are reported to the Helpdesk.
The Francis Crick Institute is a biomedical discovery institute dedicated to understanding the fundamental biology underlying health and disease. Its work is helping to understand why disease develops and to translate discoveries into new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, infections, and neurodegenerative diseases.
An independent organisation, its founding partners are the Medical Research Council (MRC), Cancer Research UK, Wellcome, UCL (University College London), Imperial College London and King’s College London.
The Crick was formed in 2015, and in 2016 it moved into a brand new state-of-the-art building in central London which brings together 1500 scientists and support staff working collaboratively across disciplines, making it the biggest biomedical research facility under a single roof in Europe.
The Francis Crick Institute will be world-class with a strong national role. Its distinctive vision for excellence includes commitments to collaboration; to developing emerging talent and exporting it the rest of the UK; to public engagement; and to helping turn discoveries into treatments as quickly as possible to improve lives and strengthen the economy.
KEY EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
The post holder should embody and demonstrate our core Crick values: Bold, Imaginative, Open, Dynamic and Collegial, in addition to the following:
- Previous experience in an IT helpdesk environment is advantageous.
- A proven track record of delivering high quality customer service.
- A demonstrable ability to prioritise effectively in response to competing demands from customers.
- A demonstrable ability to "put yourself” in the place of customers and ensure that the service provided is meeting their needs.
- A "can do” approach to responding to customer queries.
- A self-starter who is able to work unsupervised.
- Working knowledge of ITIL best practice for IT support.
- Good standard of general education, including grade C or above (or equivalent) in GCSE English and Maths.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills and a demonstrable ability to manage own time effectively.
- Quick learner with proven ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Previous experience of working in science or medical research environments an advantage.
- Applicants must be entitled to work in the UK and must be security screened.
- Previous experience of using call-logging or job-tracking systems for IT service requests and Incident Management. Previous experience of using ServiceNow an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience of supporting Apple computers running Mac OS X and Windows computers running Windows 7 and 10.
- Previous experience of troubleshooting both Mac and Windows applications, particularly Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Virtual Applications, Database connections, Data recovery and OS Patching.
- Previous experience with using remote software deployment tools, Casper essential.
- Previous experience of maintaining and troubleshooting IT desktop hardware and software in a networked environment.
- Previous experience of MS Exchange, Active Directory administration and SharePoint and first line troubleshooting.
- Experience building and supporting a mixed Linux environment would be an advantage.
- Experience with deployments, hardware refreshes and desk moves.
- Experience of supporting Scientific Equipment an advantage.
To apply please click the APPLY button.