Java / Scala Developer - Functional Programming
||£Competitive Plus Benefits including Bonus, Flexible Working Hours, 25 Days’ Holiday + Day Off on Birthday
Love programming? Want to build great software, using leading edge technologies, with smart, passionate people? If so, read on.
OVO Energy is leading a new generation of energy providers with a fresh outlook and a unique way of doing business. We believe in creating a brighter future and doing right by our customers.
We’ve been featured in Wired magazine for developing software that shatters the status quo. Now, we’re looking for a Java / Scala Developer to join us in Bristol and help advance our functional programming and help us shatter the status quo.
The energy industry is changing and technology is at the forefront of innovations. At OVO, we understand that technology and digital is at the heart of our commercial success.
We were the first energy supplier to offer Pay As You Go customers the ability to top up on their phones, the first to show electricity and gas usage in real time and the first to release an Apple Watch app. And we’re just getting started.
We’re building a better energy company, and we’re doing it one Git commit at a time.
As a Java / Scala Developer, you will:
- Take ownership of, design, build and scale parts of our microservice platform
- Drive both product and technical improvements
- Communicate your ideas, engage with different teams and encourage debate and collaboration
- Be a key element in our software that scales quickly and reliably
- Form part of a highly skilled team of Software Engineers who are making a real impact on our business
Interested? If so, you’ll need:
- Experience of building scalable, distributed web applications in Scala or, if you have no Scala experience you’ll need Java experience gained within a Scala personal project, or another JVM based functional language
- To be comfortable with functional programming (which includes a proven, demonstrable interest in functional programming)
- Experience with REST and asynchronous event driven programming
- Experience with CI, and ideally CD
- Experience driving automation across build, test and release processes
Experience with Kafka, Spark or similar technologies would be an advantage but by no means essential.
Other organisations may call this role Scala Developer, Java Developer, Functional Programming Developer, Function Programming Engineer, Software Development Engineer, Software Engineer, or Software Programmer.
What’s in it for you?
- Join a company in the Sunday Times' top 20 list of the best companies to work for
- The chance to join teams who are given total responsibility for designing, building, testing and running their applications
- The opportunity to get involved with conferences, meet-ups, hackathons, tech talks and teaching kids to code
- A clearly defined career path
- Open plan office in central Bristol
- Free breakfast every day + half price Friska
- Lots of social events
- Training budget
- Discounted gym membership
- Matched volunteering and matched fundraising
Webrecruit and OVO Energy are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
To apply for the role of Java / Scala Developer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.