Software Developer/ Engineer (Java)
||Burgess Hill, West Sussex
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
We are looking for high performing and enthusiastic Engineers and Senior Engineers to join our Foreign Exchange Internet Payments technology team in American Express, Burgess Hill.
These roles will partner closely with our product owners within collaborative scrum teams, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, using best practice design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
Your primary proven software development experience will be using Java Technologies; for example some of: JPA and CDI, Spring MVC, Spring Data and Spring Boot and RESTful microservices.
For the senior roles we would request technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and creating API's
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Required skills & experience:
- Relevant software development experience (minimum Java 7, Java 8 preferable) in a professional environment and/or comparable experience such as:
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field;
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably some experience with BDD and TDD
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack)
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and band levels, and enthusiastic
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, Microservice architecture, Cucumber, JPA, JUnit, Mocking, JSP, Oracle DB SQL
- Experience with Functional Programming practices
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Experience developing RESTful API’s and micro services
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Current knowledge of payments industry, financial services or FinTech.
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world’s a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We’re interested in where you came from, but we’re even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
American Express is committed to the diversity of our workforce. We have strong employee networks such as Women in Technology, Pride, Black And Asian Network, Families at Amex and Disability Awareness Network and we welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability or age.
To complete your application please click the APPLY button.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time