Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team and expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Warwick, Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re looking for a Business Analyst to join our PMO Team to help us continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
Acting as the interface with stakeholders including business departments, product and development teams, the Business Analyst is responsible for understanding and articulating the goals and specific, measurable objectives for each change project. The Business Analyst will define, analyse and manage requirements for achieving those goals and objectives, working closely with Project Managers and Solution Development Teams.
Projects will involve both IT and business process re-engineering, cutting across all domains of our supply business. Successful candidates will possess, or have the ability to gain, strong subject matter expertise and a desire to grow in a rapidly expanding firm that seeks to differentiate itself through technology.
The role day to day
- Identify and understand stakeholders’ underlying needs and concerns.
- Capture the ‘As-Is’ and ‘To-be’ states of the business processes using BPMN via workshops.
- Manage and communicate requirements (manage conflicts, issues, and changes to ensure agreement on scope) to stakeholders.
- Analyse requirements (prioritise and progressively elaborate stakeholder requirements, assessing the current state of the business and verification and validation of the requirements).
- Assess and validate solution options (perform gap/fit analysis and verify how the solution meets performance and effectiveness expectations).
- To work closely with the business and support the software development teams to deliver cost effective and high quality systems within the required time-scales.
- To support Acceptance Testing of end-to-end solutions by the business, in collaboration with the Test team.
What you’ll need to help you make the best of the role
- Minimum four year’s experience as a business analyst.
- Business Process mapping and process re-engineering skills, focussing on the ability to identify and implement improvement opportunities, pragmatically and at pace.
- Good workshop facilitation skills with demonstrable experience of strong stakeholder management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group including executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Functional and non-functional requirements gathering skills with demonstrable experience of a range of requirements gathering techniques.
- You must be a self-starter, a quick learner, approachable and be able to work in a fast paced environment whilst retaining a high level of integrity.
- Educated to degree level.
The ‘nice to haves’
- Experience of working in the utilities industry would be considered an advantage, but not essential. Equally valuable would be experience of working in a fast paced, customer focussed retail environment.
- Understanding of, and exposure to, Agile/Scrum development methodologies.
- Experience of producing business cases and its appraisal techniques would be beneficial.
- ISEB Business Analysis modules/diploma certifications would be beneficial.
What you’ll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday” - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday.
So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it’s important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.