Data Scientist (Optimisation)
You will be joining an exciting team of data scientists who work on all areas of Tesco's operation. The particular focus of this role will be on optimisation in the fulfilment and capacity planning domain and you will work closely with the capacity planning and transport development teams to deliver effective optimisation solutions to diverse business problems.
You will be working on industrial-scale optimisation problems involving combinatorial optimisation across many areas of the business, such as:
* vehicle routing
* pick-route optimisation in stores
* people and resource optimisation
* spatial optimisation in stores and depots
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
* An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
* Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
* A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate
* Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
* Buy As You Earn Scheme
* Save As You Earn Scheme
* Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank
* Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
Your main responsibilities will be:
* Working on technical problems within the capacity planning and fulfilment domain by using prototypes in Java or Python or other suitable languages
* Working with the Lead Data Scientist to help identify areas of impact in capacity planning and fulfilment domain
* Working collaboratively within the Data Science team to help solve broader Data Science problems
* To be able to present clearly to the business about your technical area and the business ramifications of technical designs and results on a project
* To work with the Data Science scrum master and the wider Data Science team to use/learn agile and Kanban project management approaches to tackle projects
* To identify new innovative projects yourself to work on in your 20% time
* To keep yourself up to date with the latest technical innovations in optimisation and to learn new technical areas
* To be prepared to give seminars to the Data Science team and externally on technical subjects that you are enthused about
The Ideal Candidate
* You will be expected to be an expert in aspects of mathematical optimisation, and be able to demonstrate experience on designing and implementing meta-heuristics for large scale problems applied across industrial problems in fulfilment, supply chain or logistics.
* You will have a doctoral degree in an area of optimisation or similar equivalent industrial experience.
* You will be able to develop rapid prototypes of your optimisation algorithms in one of the following languages: Java, Python, Scala, C/C++.
* You will be able to apply OOP design principles.
* You should be able to demonstrate innovation and creativity in your ideas and to be able to apply and modify existing and new techniques when tailoring them to a business-specific area.
* You should be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of state-of-the-art approaches and algorithms in combinatorial optimisation.
* You should be enthused to apply these techniques in a commercial or industrial setting.
* You will be able and prepared to learn other programming languages quickly as the business and team requires it
* You may have previous experience of stochastic, dynamic, or robust optimisation problems.
* You may have undertaken a year or more of post-doctoral research in an academic research group.
* You may have had previous industrial experience applying these techniques across industrial problems in fulfilment, supply chain or logistics.
* You are familiar with coding standards such as: TDD, S.O.L.I.D and Clean Code and Continuous-Delivery Pipeline applications such as: Jenkins
* You have helped to run industrial collaborations during your MSc or PhD
To find out more and to apply, please click the APPLY button.