This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
At Cambridge CEM our success depends on proven, reliable technology that enables us to deliver online assessments to thousands of students across the world. Our assessments help to unlock potential in every student, presenting teachers with data and reports to transform outcomes. We are seeking an experienced systems administrator to join our small IT Team, to both support our assessment platform and to support our multi-discipline teams who create, build and market our services.
This role will be critical in ensuring the technology that underpins our assessments remains working to the highest levels of availability and reliability. The successful candidate will be resourceful in their approach to problem solving and driven to deliver high levels of customer service both in-person and remotely to CEM staff.
Excellent Windows Server skills and VMware skills are essential for this role as most of our assessments run on these technologies. If you can add to these core skills with a knowledge of networking, Apple technologies, Linux and great communication skills then maybe this role is for you.
We are Cambridge University Press & Assessment (CUP&A), a world-leading academic publisher and assessment organisation and a proud part of the University of Cambridge.
About the role
These servers deliver our online assessments to pupils across the world and exist in a number of non-production environments as well as the Live environment. It is vital that these environments are kept in synchronisation when required.
You would be reporting to the IT Manager and working alongside another experienced Systems Administrator helping to manage a number of Windows and Linux virtual servers running in a VMware environment.
Regular monitoring of performance is required to ensure a high level of systems availability is maintained, as well as;
- Maintaining critical patches and updates as per manufacturers recommendations.
- Monitoring nightly and weekly backups.
- Recommending performance enhancements.
- Supporting 80 staff based mainly in the Northeast of England.
- Supporting their laptops, installed software suites and associated work equipment.
- Liaising with colleagues in the central Cambridge IT team to help resolve support tickets.
- Maintaining an awareness of IT projects across CUP&A and collaborating with colleagues as required.
- Monitoring centralised anti-virus alerts.
- You will love supporting staff to make the most of the technology services available to them.
- You have a drive to always provide excellent customer service.
- You have experience working with a service desk ticketing system.
- You have previously worked in a Systems Administrator role.
- You are experienced in managing your own workload.
- Taking on responsibility for support tickets.
- Being flexible in your daily and weekly hours to resolve problems.
If you would like to know more about this opportunity and what will make you successful, please see the full job description attached to the bottom of this vacancy on our careers site.
Rewards and benefits
We will support you to be at your best in work and to live well outside of it. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a world-class, flexible rewards package, featuring family-friendly and planet-friendly benefits including:
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private medical and Permanent Health Insurance
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Group personal pension scheme
- Life assurance up to 4 x annual salary
- Green travel schemes
We are a hybrid working organisation, and we offer a range of flexible working options from day one. We expect most hybrid-working colleagues to spend 40-60% of their time at their dedicated office or location. We will also consider other work arrangements if you wish to work more flexibly or require adjustments due to a disability.
Ready to pursue your potential? Apply now.
We review applications on an ongoing basis, with a closing date for all applications being 18th February 2024 and interviews are scheduled to take place on the week beginning 26th February.
Please note that successful applicants will be subject to satisfactory background checks including DBS due to working in a regulated industry.
"Please note, Cambridge University Press & Assessment is unable to issue sponsorship under the Skilled Worker Visa route for this role as it does not meet the minimum skill requirements."
Why join us
Joining us is your opportunity to pursue potential. You'll belong to a collaborative team that's exploring new and better ways to serve students, teachers and researchers across the globe - for the benefit of individuals, society and the world. Sharing our mission will inspire your own growth, development and progress, in an environment which embraces difference, change and aspiration.
Cambridge University Press & Assessment is committed to being a place where anyone can enjoy a successful career, where everyone has a voice, and where we learn continuously to improve together. Ensuring that everyone feels they belong is essential to who we are, and to the contribution we make to society and our planet.
We believe better outcomes come through diversity of thought, background and approach. We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and communities, actively seeking to employ people from a wide range of different communities.