Mechanical Engineers (Warhead Containers)
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Mechanical Engineers (Warhead Containers)
AWE have exciting new opportunities for experienced Warhead Mechanical Engineers with background in design, manufacture, and trials as well as an understanding of systems engineering and project / product delivery. As a member of the WH containers team, successful candidates will be required to carry out projects, developing, procuring, and testing new designs in support both current and future programmes. These projects vary from component level to full system design.
Mechanical Engineers within the Warhead Containers team work on design projects developing mechanical and thermal solutions as well as supporting interfaces to electrical systems. Engineers are required to travel as part of the role in support of, trials, customer interactions, external meetings with suppliers, domestic and international R&D projects.
Location - Reading
Salary: £35,720 - £50,800 (dependent on experience)
Closing Date: 20th February 2024
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Candidates will need to be team players who are proactive in nature and happy to work across a variety of projects, engaging with various stakeholders from different disciplines, internal and external to the nuclear weapons enterprise.
As a mechanical engineer within the WH containers team, you will be responsible for:
- Requirements generation
- Mechanical Design using CAD software (preferably Seimens NX) and producing associated engineering drawings
- Identify the Concept of Operations and opportunities for improvements associated with handling, processing and storage of containers and associated contents
- Conducting Verification and Validation activities (including both onsite and offsite trials management)
- The development and delivery of viable technical solutions that meet customer requirement.
- Leading / Supporting project reviews for internal programmes and external contracts, including providing written reports and verbal briefs to management and stakeholders
This division of Warhead Engineering is responsible for maintaining the current container system, ensuring it is safe, secure, serviceable and meets the demands of both internal and external stakeholders, as well as supporting the development of future container systems. The team work on multiple projects from concept phase, into service and through to disposal. The team is responsible for:
- Ownership and Design Management of the current container system
- Through life management of the current container system and its associated design
- Conducting Verification and qualification activities
- Developing capabilities for future container systems and investigating new verification methods
- Stakeholder Engagement with other (international and domestic) government agencies and regulators
- Ensure the enterprise has the required capabilities to support the enduring container programme
These are excellent and exciting opportunities to join a multi-disciplinary team with a range of experiences. As a member of the Warhead Engineering community these roles provides exceptional opportunities for development through technical, functional and project leadership. The roles will provide the successful candidates with a wider appreciation of the UK's nuclear weapon enterprise, responsibility in delivering CASD and cross enterprise engagement at all levels.
To be considered for these roles, we would like you to have a degree or higher qualification in an engineering discipline OR proven equivalent experience working in a similar environment. An appreciation of Mechanical Engineering methods, tools and processes will be required.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to undertake occasional travel.