Network and Firewall Specialist
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK's ultimate deterrent - Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counterterrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
AWE are seeking an experienced, innovative and dedicated Network Engineer to support and maintain AWE's Firewall and Network Systems. Each day offers a new challenge and learning opportunity.
Location - Reading area
Salary - from £35,840 subject to skills and experience
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year including bank holidays, plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply) -
Reporting to the IT Manager, the successful Network Engineer will be responsible for the installation and maintenance of routers, switches and firewalls and the day to day running of multiple networks.
The role will include:
- Design, configure and implementation of network solutions.
- Authoring of technical documentation.
- Use network management tools to investigate, diagnose and resolve network problems within service level agreement tolerances.
- Ensuring all network equipment is fit for purpose and running the latest stable firmware.
- Resolve any loss of service due to hardware or software issues.
- Escalate significant issues to the Line Manager.
- Ensure network services are maintained and up to date through routine configuration/installation of hardware and software.
- Support of project work and travel to remote sites will be required.
- Ensure Network configurations are up to date and standardised.
The Candidate: To be considered for this position, we are looking for candidates who have the following skills, qualifications and experience:
- Previous proven engineering experience within a networking environment.
- Working to high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player.
- Good communicator (Written and oral) with sound facilitation skills that can be related to colleagues of all levels including contractors.
- Ability to operate under pressure, meet tight deadlines and influence decisions.
- Good technical investigation and problem-solving skills.
- Highly proficient computing skills.
- Maintain technical skills to support latest network hardware/software.
- Experience with Juniper (particularly EX, SRX and QFX platforms) would be advantageous.
- Experienced with NAC (Network Access Control) solutions.
- Knowledge of protocols, especially OSPF and 802.1X
- Data Centre experience advantageous.
- Willingness to work flexibly and to occasionally work evenings and weekends where exceptional circumstances require it.
- Due to the nature of this role you will be working from our Aldermaston site full-time
- On call roster duties will be required.
All Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.