We are looking for an experienced data engineer to join our Open Data team at the Parliamentary Digital Service (PDS). As a data engineer, you will develop and support the new open data platform. The role will involve development of the Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) data pipeline framework for integrating upstream master data sources from parliamentary business systems into the Open Data Platform, as well as developing new versions of a number of key data services, including web-client applications and data APIs. The data engineer will be a key member of the Open Data team.
What You Need
To be successful in this role you will have:
- experience in deploying applications and/or data services to the cloud using CI/CD approach, preferably with experience of containerised micro-service delivery
- experience in agile software development within Azure
- experience in designing and developing API's for data - e.g. search API's, feed API's etc
- experience in designing and developing presentation layers for data rich applications
- experience with developing with Azure storage services, especially Azure SQL server
- the ability to pass security clearance, backed by the right to work in the UK
About The Team
The Open Data team is responsible for setting and delivering Parliament's open data strategy and its open data resources and services. The key service is the open data platform. We collaborate with teams across PDS and Parliament to understand their data, model it and deliver the data and data services.
UK Parliament is steeped in history and tradition. It is an important part of UK life and we need to ensure as many people as possible can engage with its work. This is why we are at the start of a huge transformation programme powered by technology. The Parliamentary Digital Service (PDS) works with the House of Commons and the House of Lords with all their IT and digital needs. We are here to realise the digital ambitions of a modern Parliament and welcome you to join us in building a digital democracy.
Please refer to our Candidate Information Pack for a full list of our benefits which include:
- up to 35 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- generous maternity pay policy up to 6 months full pay
- great pension scheme options (contributory and non-contributory)
- on-site subsidised gym, nursery, catering, post office, travel office and GP
- flexible options including hybrid working and family friendly policies
How To Apply
Please make sure you're clear on the requirements of the role. These can be found in the Job Description and Candidate Information Pack. You will need to upload a CV and show how you meet up to the first five criterion. Our application process is anonymous, so please remove any personal information from your CV.
Interviews: 11th December 2023
Format: Presentation + Panel Interview (Remote)
For our people, we provide an amazing opportunity to bring their talents to an institution that sits right at the heart of society in the UK. We are helping to change UK Parliament and strengthen democracy. What matters here is your potential for growth and your commitment to playing your part in our ongoing success.
We are passionate about providing an environment which promotes inclusion, diversity and equality. Regardless of your age, gender, ethnicity, beliefs or any of the other things that make you, you. We welcome applications from people who feel under-represented in the workforce. This includes those who may feel disadvantaged because of their socioeconomic circumstances.
Our mission is to support a thriving parliamentary democracy - this means being ready to carry out our essential functions to support colleagues deliver excellent services on the Parliamentary Estate and remotely. The balance of location varies according to the requirements of each job role, including some roles which can only be carried out from the Parliamentary Estate. The usual working arrangements for teams in the Digital Service are set out in team hybrid working plans and are by agreement with the managers and leaders of those teams. All teams are required to attend the estate for part of the time to meet business requirements and for team communication, learning and training. Please refer to the hybrid working plan contained in the candidate pack for more information
Contact Name: Parliamentary Digital Service
Job ID: 3289288