Mid / Senior Developers
Job Title: Mid / Senior Developers
Location: Manchester (commutable distance from Manchester with good transport links)
Salary: £50,694 - £57,000 (up to £75,328 for senior developers)
Job Type: 12-month fixed term appointment.
Hours: Full-time (37 hours per week)
Working patterns available: Part Time; Job Share; Flexible Working; Condensed Hours
Clearance level: BPSS
Please note: The roles with GDS primarily uses Ruby on Rails but you'll also be using your web development skills from the programme where you'll learn to master technologies such as HTML, CSS and JS/TS.
About the job
Are you an experienced software engineer looking to re-enter the industry, but unsure of where to start? Perhaps you feel less confident this time around, or are coming across barriers when applying for jobs?
The best part? The course is free and you're guaranteed a job interview with GDS upon completion!
This programme has kindly been sponsored by global technology consultancy, Thoughtworks.
There are limited places available on this free programme. We encourage you to apply at your earliest convenience!
Application deadline: 9 January 2024
Programme duration: 22 January - 22 March 2024
Places available: 8
Employer: Government Digital Service (GDS)
Roles available: Mid/Senior Developers
Location of roles: Manchester, UK
Who is this programme for?
This programme is designed for experienced tech professionals who have taken a career break of 6 months or longer and are now seeking to re-enter the industry.
Tech Returners is for people who have previous commercial experience of software engineering and want to return to their career. Whether that break was due to maternity leave, starting a business, travel, or caregiving responsibilities-whatever the reason for your time away-we're here to provide the support you need to seamlessly transition back into your software career.
We understand that returning to the tech industry after a break can be daunting, but rest assured, our team is experienced in working with people returning to tech and know exactly how to help you reach your full potential.
After completing our 9-week programme and rebuilding your tech skills and confidence, you will take part in an interview with GDS who are hiring mid/senior developers.
As a Developer on GOV.UK, you'll:
- work as part of a multi-disciplinary agile team, getting involved with every part of the lifecycle of a service, from user research to continuously deploying.
- code to production in our AWS environments.
- build robust, performant Ruby on Rails web services to serve a variety of citizen and government needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce.
- support the live operation of the services we run, and participate in out-of-hours support rotas where necessary - you'll be paid an allowance,and a further hourly payment, for any duties you perform when on call.
- use your learning and development budget to develop your career.
The skills we would expect a Developer to have:
- experience in back-end development, with knowledge of Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- an awareness of technologies used for cloud based web applications, suchas databases, backups, CDNs and containerisation, and of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS.
- understanding of software design principles, and an ability to apply them.
- understanding of common web security risks such as OWASP Top 10, and the corresponding mitigations.
- enjoy researching and learning new programming tools and techniques and sharing their skills with others.
- have experience working in a collaborative environment, and an understanding of the benefits of agile and multi-disciplinary approaches.
In addition to the above, Senior Developers would also:
- provide technical leadership within a team, advising and working with developers to identify the best approaches and solutions.
- take responsibility for solving complex issues, drawing upon a broad knowledge of web technologies.
- have experience in management, helping colleagues with their career development and coaching more junior staff members.
- share knowledge among the GDS teams, ensuring that your team is understood by others and understanding the working of the wider organisation.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Senior Frontend Developer, Full-Stack, SQL Engineer, SQL Server, Application Developer Software Tester, IT Software Developer, IT Database Developer, IT Software Engineer, may also be considered for this role.
Contact Name: Tech Returners
Job ID: 3289280