Senior Delivery Manager - Agile
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Our reward package
We're looking for an exceptional Senior Delivery Manager to help us make a difference to our planet.
Our Senior Delivery Manager will work a hybrid pattern of homeworking with a requirement to come on site for key meetings, this will likely be once a month at our Exeter HQ.
Why join us?
The Met Office is accredited as a 'Great Place to Work UK 2023' and in addition has achieved a place on both the UK's 'Best Workplaces in Tech' and 'Best Workplaces for Women' lists.
We invest in our people to unlock their full potential, we will support you to develop and thrive to be the best you can be. We champion positive physical and mental health in the workplace and are committed to being an inclusive organisation, providing a working culture that actively values an equal and diverse workforce.
As our Senior Delivery Manager - Agile, your starting salary will be £49149.00. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minimum. Our 2022-25 pay award means the salary will increase to £52799.00 from 1st April 2024, and you will be able to progress towards £56738.00 over time.
In addition, you will be paid £5000.00 per annum as a market supplement to reflect the demand for your skills. You will be paid this market driven allowance from April 2022 until March 2024 in your monthly pay whilst performing this role.
Your total reward package is potentially worth up to £67245.00 annually, which includes basic salary, market supplement, potential corporate bonus and employer pension contributions.
Your package includes: - Outstanding Civil Service Pension - Flexible hours, we'll do our best to agree a working pattern that suits you - Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years and option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave - Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel - Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories.
Who we are
We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science to deliver extraordinary impact and benefit across the globe. Our work helps people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
- We're a force for good - focusing on our environmental and social impact
- We're experts by nature - always learning and developing to do things better
- We live and breathe it - putting our purpose at the heart of decision-making
- We're better together - understanding partnerships and inclusivity make us greater
- We keep evolving - pushing boundaries to make tomorrow better for our customers
Find out more about our values - please see our careers page
A career at the Met Office opens a wealth of opportunities to not only work with world class partners, such as Microsoft, ESRI, Amazon and many others, but also to challenge them to create solutions for Met Office problems.
As a Senior Delivery Manager, you will:
- Coach, facilitate and mentor both team members and others to apply the most appropriate agile and lean tools and techniques
- Build and maintain software delivery teams, ensuring they are motivated, collaborating and working well
- Identify obstacles and help the team to overcome them
- Focus the team on what is most important to the delivery of products and services
- Encourage and facilitate continuous improvement of the delivery team
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
This is a senior role within the Met Office and as such we would expect demonstrable experience in leading software teams in this role. You should be able to demonstrate not only knowledge of the standard agile methodologies but also the reasons and principles behind them.
- Agile and Lean practices. Experience lead coaching and leading software teams in Agile and Lean practices. You are a recognised expert that advocates these approaches, continuously reflecting and challenging the team. You can create or tailor new ways of working; you are always innovating.
- Communication skills. You can mediate between people and mend relationships, communicating with stakeholders at all levels. Youcan manage stakeholder expectations and facilitate discussions about high risk and complexity even within constrained timescales. You can speak and represent the community to large audiences inside and outside of government.
- Life-cycle perspective. You can apply experience of multiple parts of the product life cycle. You can recognise when it is right to move forward and when it is right to stop. You can recognise the appropriate deliverables and the right people to meet these. You are able to work with other agile delivery operations throughout the product life cycle. You can plan and engage with the appropriate stakeholders at a particular stage in the project.
- Maintaining delivery momentum. You know how to optimise the delivery flow of teams. You actively address the most complicated risks, issues and dependencies including where ownership exists outside the team or no clear ownership exists. You can identify innovative ways to unblock issues. You can identify problems or issues in the team dynamic and rectify them.
- Planning. You know how to lead a continual planning process in a very complex environment. You can plan beyond product delivery. You can identify dependencies in plans across services and coordinate delivery. You know how to coach other teams as the central point of expertise.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
We encourage you to apply if you believe you meet our essential criteria, but your application will be even stronger if you have:
- Agile Accreditation, i.e. Scrum Alliance, Scrum.org, SAFe, BCS, Management 3.0.
- Agile Software Delivery Experience.
How to apply
Click Apply and attach your CV and a Cover Letter/Supporting Statement which evidences how you meet each of the essential criteria - we recommend candidates use the CARL (Context, Action, Result and Learning) method for presenting evidence of skills. Closing date 27/11/2023 with interviews commencing from 11/12/2023 . We update all applicants once the vacancy has closed and applications have been reviewed. At present, all interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.
If successful, you will occasionally need to work at our state of the art office in Exeter for team days and face to face collaboration as required, we are unable to offer expenses for travel to your normal place of work. Please ask at interview how often this requirement is likely to be.
How we can help:
If you are considering applying and need assistance to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within your application or by contacting us. Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity.
You can select in your application to be considered under the Disability Confident (Guaranteed Interview) Scheme. To be invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the essential criteria for the role.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from those with all protected characteristics. We recruit on merit, fairness, and open competition in line with the Civil Service Code.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK - please refer to GOV.UK for information. Security clearance is required, which you need to have resided in the UK for at least 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible. You will need to achieve full security clearance within your first 6 months with us before we confirm your employment.
We operate an on-call roster in Technology to provide 24/7/365 support to respond to operational service requirements. This post may be part of an on-call roster and the postholder would be required to participate in an on-call roster where in operation. The hiring manager will be able to let you know if this applies to this job.
This role will be subject to an online deductive reasoning test as part of the selection process.