Senior End User Computing Engineer
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Our reward package
We're looking for an exceptional Senior End User Computing Engineer to help us make a difference to our planet with what we do here at the Met Office.
Our Senior End User Computing Engineer will work a hybrid pattern of homeworking and Attending Exeter HQ every week would be expected, exact amount could be discussed.
Why join us?
The Met Office is accredited as a 'Great Place to Work UK 2023' and in addition has achieved a place on both the UK's 'Best Workplaces in Tech' and 'Best Workplaces for Women' lists.
We invest in our people to unlock their full potential. We will support you to develop and thrive to be the best you can be. We champion positive physical and mental health in the workplace and are committed to being an inclusive organisation, providing a working culture that actively values an equal and diverse workforce.
Your starting salary will be £32100.00 and you will have opportunities to progress to £34925.00 over time. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minima. Our 2022-25 pay award means the salary will increase to £33559.00 from 1st April 2024, and you will be able to progress towards £36000.00 over time.
In addition you will be paid £2500.00 per annum as a market supplement to reflect the demand for your skills. You will be paid this market driven allowance from April 2022 until March 2024 in your monthly pay whilst performing this role.
As our Senior End User Computing Engineer, your total reward package is potentially worth up to £47196.00 annually, which includes basic salary, market supplement, potential corporate bonus and employer pension contributions.
Your package includes: - Outstanding Civil Service Pension - Flexible hours and homeworking - Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years and option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave - Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel -Access to discounted shopping on a range of retail, leisure and lifestyle categories
Who we are
We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science, to help people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
- We're a force for good- focusing on our environmental and social impact
- We're experts by nature- always learning and developing to do things better
- We live and breathe it- putting our purpose at the heart of decision-making
- We're better together- understanding partnerships and inclusivity make us greater
- We keep evolving- pushing boundaries to make tomorrow better for our customers
Find out more about our values - https://bit.ly/3fokaRD
As our Senior End User Computing Engineer, you will join 'EUC' which is a sub team of circa twelve within the larger Digital Workplace team of almost forty.
End user computing (EUC) covers traditional support, with some first line, but mainly 2nd and into 3rd line Problem root cause as well.
We ensure that the EUC environment is fit for purpose and oversee the lifecycle of all related hardware, this involves some project work.
We work closely with the rest of Digital Workplace & the wider Met Office to transition changes and new services into service acceptance and support. We look to constantly improve not only our service offerings, but how we work as well. continually looking for improvement for our own processes and delivering real value to the wider business, what we do is visible, this is a customer facing role and will involve work that affects the Met Office across all levels and roles.
- Service Delivery - ITIL / ITSM
- An ambassador for a customer focused team
- Mentoring junior staff
- Incident and Request Management
- Troubleshoot & root cause Problem investigation.
- Effective Prioritisation
We run an on-call rota in Technology to supply 24/7 support to respond to operational service requirements for which this post may require participation.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
This role follows the DDaT framework for 'Senior End User Computing Engineer', each of these skills has expanded information via the link to this skills framework. The key skills this will involve and we would look to have Demonstrable evidence for are;
- Technical specialism & Technical understanding: Demonstrable Enterprise technology experience in at least four of the following technical domains:
- Supporting Microsoft Operating Systems as an escalation point
- Hardware troubleshooting & root cause investigation
- Configuration management (SCCM/MECM/Azure Endpoint manager)
- ITSM Tool usage for Incident Management (e.g., Service Now)
- ITIL working practices, ideally ITIL v4 foundation certified.
- PowerShell or other scripting used to automate processes.
- Software management and support
- Azure & on prem AD tooling
- Microsoft 365 administration and support as an escalation point
- User focus: effective communication skills are necessary as this is a senior customer facing technology role. You will be acting as an ambassador for the team to our internal customers and external suppliers.
Confidence in using multi-channel communications (Phone, IM, E-Mail).
Mentoring & knowledge sharing to the team along with deputising for the lead as needed.
- Service focus & Continual service improvement: Can work broadly independently and collaboratively both in troubleshooting/support and in undertaking project work. Ensures deadlines are met without sacrificing quality.
Experience leading continual improvement to a team's processes & workflows.
Proven experience of delivering knowledge sharing and training via a variety of methods, for example, regular team meetings, individual mentoring or otherwise disseminating knowledge.
Independently broadening their own sphere of knowledge and awareness of current trends in IT/computing.
- Ownership and initiative: Logical, methodical, and with excellent attention to detail, an Adaptive person with an aptitude for quickly understanding and solving technical problems.
Providing ownership and an escalation point for incidents as well as raising to 3rd parties support when appropriate.
Ownership of root cause investigation and problem management.
A holistic view that considers the wider business requirements and can use that to prioritise workloads for themselves and the team as needed.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
We encourage you to apply if you believe you meet our essential criteria, but your application will be even stronger if you have:
- Technical knowledge of Teams PSTN calling
- Microsoft modern management & autopilot
- Ownership of internal team projects
How to apply
If you share our values, we'd love to hear from you. Apply below using your CV and Cover Letter/Supporting Statement (which must bullet point how you meet each of the essential criteria). Closing date 26/11/2023 at 23:59 with interviews commencing from 08/12/2023 . You will hear from us once the closing date has passed. Our interviews are taking place remotely via Microsoft Teams.
If successful, please note we are unable to offer expenses for travel to your normal place of work.Please ask at interview if you would like extra clarity on how often this requirement is likely to be.
How we can help:
If you are considering applying and need assistance to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within your application or by contacting us. Should yoube offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity.
You can select in your application to be considered under the Disability Confident(Guaranteed Interview) Scheme. Tobe invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the essential criteria for the role.
We are an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from those with all protected characteristics. We recruit on merit, fairness, and open competition in line with the Civil Service Code.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK - please refer to GOV.UK for information. We require Security clearance, for which you need to have resided in the UK for at least 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible. You will need to achieve full security clearance within your first 6 months with us.
Met Office is adopting new professions frameworks/Government Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) framework. From April 2023, this job will be aligned to Senior End User Computing Engineer, and if successful there will be no changes to the pay and allowances as a result of this change