Lead Data Engineer
What you'll be doing...
Join our team at Riverford as we undertake a transformative journey, evolving into a data-enriched organisation! In the role of Lead Data Engineer, you'll be instrumental in guiding our transition to the cloud, designing a collaborative platform that empowers our data analysts to work together effectively across diverse business sectors. Your contribution will be crucial not just in technology; you'll be fostering a community of data professionals and laying the groundwork for our inclusive data strategies.
In this role as a member of the IT senior management team, you will lead and mentor a team of dedicated professionals, ensuring that each person's voice is heard and valued. This is a cooperative role where you will make your mark on the company's technical journey through your interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships based on trust.
We're also invested in your growth. Our technology team members have four hours a week allocated time for professional development, giving you the space to advance your skills. Additionally, there is access to diverse learning opportunities, from technical skills to high quality management training recognized by the ILM.
Permanent contract, 40 hours per week, fully remote or hybrid working based out of Wash Farm.
- Guiding the evolution towards a data-driven culture at Riverford.
- Designing and implementing a cloud data warehouse solution. This is pivotal to the goal of transitioning Riverford to a scalable, data-driven model.
- Facilitating requirements gathering to understand and support the needs of the business. This is vital for the successful adoption of the new data solution.
- Leading a small team of highly skilled professionals, fostering a cooperative and inclusive environment.
- Contributing to the overall technical direction of Riverford as part of the IT senior management team. This is critical for ensuring the data initiatives are harmoniously aligned with broader business goals.
- Managing the migration from our traditional BI platforms to the new cloud data warehouse solution.
- Collaborating with our third-party DBA service provider to maintain existing services like SQL Server, SSAS, SSRS, SSIS, etc.
Skills & experience...
- Cloud Data Solutions: Experience in Cloud Data Warehouse Solutions. You have a solid background in carefully designing and implementing cloud data solutions.
- Implementation Experience: Personally coordinated one or more transitions to cloud data warehouse solutions from traditional BI platforms.
- Programming Skills: Demonstrable expertise in Python and SQL, which are fundamental skills for data manipulation and analytics.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to operate at a strategic level, intuitively prioritizing work to deliver the most value to the business.
- Leadership Skills: Capable of nurturing, engaging, and motivating a team with empathy.
- Excellent Communication: Remarkable ability to convey technical topics in a relatable manner to non-technical or executive stakeholders.
- Commitment and Work Ethic: A dedicated, earnest commitment to the role and its responsibilities.
Work with us at Riverford, and join a thriving employee-owned business
- Be part of a friendly, supportive and ambitious team, who thrive on pushing the boundaries of technology!
- Lots of opportunities to learn, grow, and progress in your career.
- We'll give you an abundance of free organic fruit and veg, an annual tax-free co-owner bonus, and a bounty of benefits - including low-cost, home-cooked organic breakfasts and lunches.
More than just a veg box....
Riverford are mad about organic veg. It's at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes, and deliver it to around 65,000 homes across the UK every week.
This takes loads of brilliant people - and working here makes you a ‘co-owner', since Riverford is employee owned. Success means much more than just profits; we want this to be a place people enjoy coming to work, and a business our co-owners feel proud of!
Riverford is proud to be a B Corp; the certification for ethical businesses which work to benefit people and planet. In 2022, we were named one of the Best for the World™ B Corps! This means that our positive impact on staff scored in the top 5% of all B Corps of our size worldwide.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people - and other perks too. Some of our benefits include: 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays), 10% training time - we typically spend Friday afternoons reading whitepapers, writing funky code, and brainstorming weird new ideas. Additionally, we allocate an annual allowance for paid security training of your choice, as part of our PCI compliance process. Generous company pension scheme, annual profit share (10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners), heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, paid volunteer days, free organic fruit and veg and free parking.
Job ID: 3288706