Engineering Manager - IT
What you'll be doing...
Unleash your leadership potential at Riverford, the UK's leading ecommerce retailer in fresh produce. Here, you won't just be managing; you'll be revolutionizing the way we use technology to connect people with high-quality, sustainably sourced products. Take charge of a back-office software engineering team that's as committed to innovation as you are.
In this pivotal role, you'll be a key member of the IT senior management team, shaping Riverford's technical strategy while developing technologies that power our ecommerce experiences and critical business operations. From the API that drives our online platform to the integrations that keep our production and delivery teams running smoothly, your impact will be felt across the company.
As the IT business partner to our finance and commercial departments, you'll translate complex needs into effective, actionable strategies with empathy. If you're dedicated to making a difference through technology and can inspire a team with a blend of strength and supportiveness, we welcome your contribution.
We're also invested in your growth. Our technology team members have four hours a week allocated time for professional development, giving you the space to advance your skills. Additionally there is access to diverse learning opportunities, from technical skills to high quality management training recognized by the ILM.
Permanent contract, 40 hours per week, fully remote or hybrid working based out of Wash Farm.
- Drive Riverford's technical strategy, promoting innovation and a collaborative spirit.
- Oversee a team of engineers and testers, fostering a culture of high performance with a supportive ethos.
- Develop technologies that streamline ecommerce and operational processes, enhancing team integration.
- Act as a consultative partner across departments, ensuring smooth technology adoption and effective planning.
- Manage engineering priorities with agility and responsiveness to align with business objectives.
- Encourage the adoption of Scrum and Agile methodologies, fostering a culture of continuous learning.
- Apply data-driven insights to guide engineering practices with an understanding of team dynamics.
- Maintain system performance standards, building a reliable technology environment.
Skills & experience...
- Proven ability to lead with a mix of strategic vision and interpersonal skill.
- Competence in gathering requirements, team development, and engaging stakeholders collaboratively.
- Proficiency in Scrum and the software development lifecycle, with an approachable leadership style.
- Ability to identify and focus on high-impact tasks, driving value with consideration for team input.
- Effective communicator, capable of making complex technical issues accessible and relatable.
- Committed to fostering teamwork, demonstrating a balance of assertiveness and openness.
- Knowledge in cyber security, with a proactive approach to software protection.
- Experience in managing diverse teams, with a mindful approach to leadership.
- A background in business analysis or product ownership, with a penchant for Agile methodologies.
- Understanding of PCI compliance and a commitment to continuous process improvement.
Work with us at Riverford, and join a thriving employee-owned business
- Be part of a friendly, supportive and ambitious team, who thrive on pushing the boundaries of technology!
- Lots of opportunities to learn, grow, and progress in your career.
- We'll give you an abundance of free organic fruit and veg, an annual tax-free co-owner bonus, and a bounty of benefits - including low-cost, home-cooked organic breakfasts and lunches.
More than just a veg box....
Riverford are mad about organic veg. It's at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes, and deliver it to around 65,000 homes across the UK every week.
This takes loads of brilliant people - and working here makes you a ‘co-owner', since Riverford is employee owned. Success means much more than just profits; we want this to be a place people enjoy coming to work, and a business our co-owners feel proud of!
Riverford is proud to be a B Corp; the certification for ethical businesses which work to benefit people and planet. In 2022, we were named one of the Best for the World™ B Corps! This means that our positive impact on staff scored in the top 5% of all B Corps of our size worldwide.
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people - and other perks too. Some of our benefits include: 33 days holiday pro rata (including bank holidays), 10% training time - we typically spend Friday afternoons reading whitepapers, writing funky code, and brainstorming weird new ideas. Additionally, we allocate an annual allowance for paid security training of your choice, as part of our PCI compliance process. Generous company pension scheme, annual profit share (10% of all our profits are split equally between all co-owners), heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches, paid volunteer days, free organic fruit and veg and free parking.
Job ID: 3288702