Associate Infrastructure Engineer
This job has now expired please search on the home page to find live IT Jobs.
Our reward package
We're looking for an exceptional Associate Infrastructure Engineer to help us make a difference to our planet.
As our Associate Infrastructure Engineer you will work a hybrid pattern and will be on site at Exeter HQ 1 -2 times per week (flexible). You can choose to work more frequently in our state-of-the-art office if you'd prefer. Our people are at the heart of what we do and we'll do our best to agree a working pattern that works for everyone.
Why join us?
The Met Office is accredited as a 'Great Place to Work UK 2023' and in addition has achieved a place on both the UK's 'Best Workplaces in Tech' and 'Best Workplaces for Women' lists.
We invest in our people to unlock their full potential. As our Associate Infrastructure Engineer, we will support you to develop and thrive to be the best you can be. We champion positive physical and mental health in the workplace and are committed to being an inclusive organisation, providing a working culture that actively values an equal and diverse workforce.
As our Associate Infrastructure Engineer, your starting salary will be £25870.00. New joiners to the Met Office will start on the salary band minimum. Our 2022-2025 pay award means the salary will increase to £26945.00 from 1st April 2024, and you will be able to progress towards £29,531.00 over time.
In addition you will be paid £2500.00 per annum as a market supplement to reflect the demand for your skills. You will be paid this market driven allowance from April 2022 until March 2024 in your monthly pay whilst performing this role.
Your total reward package is potentially worth up to £38,818.00 annually, which includes basic salary, market supplement, potential corporate bonus and employer pension contributions.
Your package includes: - Outstanding Civil Service Pension - Flexible hours and homeworking - Annual Leave starting at 27.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 32.5 days (plus Bank Holidays) after 5 years and option to buy or sell up to 5 days per year of annual leave - Cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment to support healthy, low carbon travel - Access to discounted shopping, inclusive of retail, leisure and lifestyle brands
Who we are
We provide critical weather services and world-leading climate science to deliver extraordinary impact and benefit across the globe. Our work helps people make better decisions to stay safe and thrive.
- We're a force for good - focusing on our environmental and social impact
- We're experts by nature - always learning and developing to do things better
- We live and breathe it - putting our purpose at the heart of decision-making
- We're better together - understanding partnerships and inclusivity make us greater
- We keep evolving - pushing boundaries to make tomorrow better for our customers
Find out more about our values - please visit our careers page
As our Associate Infrastructure Engineer, your key responsibilities are:
- Working with Technical staff to deliver IT infrastructure solutions that involve integrating multiple components, considering security, network, and operational considerations.
- Administering the operational aspects of server infrastructure, including creating comprehensive documentation for all aspects of the supported service delivery.
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure that services are delivered within agreed-upon service levels.
- Leveraging knowledge of all IT infrastructure areas to identify and pursue opportunities for improving services and business processes.
- Taking ownership of technical issues and seeing them through to a satisfactory resolution.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
Alongside your CV, please submit a supporting statement/cover letter which addresses each of the below criteria in turn and evidences how you meet each criteria.
- Enthusiasm and experience of pushing the boundaries of computing and a positive attitude to making a difference.
- Working knowledge of IT infrastructure technologies, ideally some of the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server/Client operating systems
- Active Directory Domain Services
- Group Policy Management
- Working knowledge of the benefits of:
- Endpoint management solutions to deploy Applications and Patches
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft365 Cloud Services
- PowerShell Scripting
- A genuine interest and drive in solving complex technical problems, often within the constraints of an operational environment.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
We encourage you to apply if you believe you meet our essential criteria, but we're also keen to discover if you have:
- Current qualifications or the willingness to learn and follow the Microsoft Certified pathway, with support and training opportunities.
How to apply
If you share our values, we'd love to hear from you. Apply below using your CV and a Cover Letter/Supporting Statement which evidences how you meet each of the essential criteria - we recommend candidates use the CARL (Context, Action, Result and Learning) method for presenting evidence of skills.
Closing date 20/11/2023 at 23:59 with interviews commencing from 04/12/2023. You will hear from us once the closing date has passed.
If successful, please note we are unable to offer expenses for travel to your normal place of work. This post is contractually aligned to Exeter HQ, please ask at interview if you would like extra clarity on how often this requirement is likely to be.
How we can help:
If you are considering applying and need support to do so, please contact us via . You can request adjustments either within your application or by contacting us. Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test or a scenario-based activity. You can select in your application to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme. To be invited to interview/assessment under this scheme, your application must meet the essential criteria for the role.
We understand that great minds don't always think alike and as an equal opportunities employer we welcome applications from those with all protected characteristics. We recruit on merit, fairness, and open competition in line with the Civil Service Code.
We can only accept applications from those eligible to live and work in the UK - please refer to GOV.UK for information. We require Security clearance, for which you need to have resided in the UK for at least 3 of the last 5 years to be eligible. You will need to achieve full security clearance within your first 6 months with us.
We operate an on-call roster in Technology to provide 24/7/365 support to respond to operational service requirements. This post may be part of an on-call roster and the postholder would be required to participate in an on-call roster where in operation.